2 - An Alpha Attacks

———

-Your POV-

"Hey there, Rei-kun! Wait for me, will you?" I shout with a widening smile while waving my hand up high to catch the male's attention.

My name is (Y/N), and I've found myself wrapped up in a strange world with creatures called Pokemon. The people here are utterly terrified of these mysterious animals, but today, my close friend Rei and I will be going on our first trip past Jubilife Village, where I've lived for years now. Since the day I fell from the sky and to this region filled to the brim with adventure waiting to be had, I've lived happily in my own one-room residence in the village.

A couple of brief years later, I'm now fifteen and adapted to the peculiar quirks of this place. Somehow I've earned my way to the honorable privilege of getting a starter Pokemon and even the permission to work on completing the first Pokedex ever in history for the professor. I'm running down the main street of Jubilife Village to the front gateway where Rei waits with a grin and his Pikachu by his side.

I was given a positively adorable creature called Oshawatt, which is a little blue otter-like Pokemon that always holds a small, pearly shell. In addition to that, I also caught an Eevee in the tall grass near the training grounds at the back of the town -- but the real journey starts with stepping foot out of the village.

"C'mon, (Y/N)-chan!" Rei jumps up and down to wear down nerves, both fear and excitement, which mirrors my emotions as well. While something about Pokemon seemed increasingly familiar, I assumed it was because the world was full of them, and not because my lost memories still show no signs of resurfacing.

Either way, just like many of the citizens here, Rei is also afraid of Pokemon and often has trouble with training his Pikachu, although the electric mouse Pokemon is one of the tamest you'll see. It's a recurring thing, unfortunately.

"Ready?" I ask pleasantly, adjusting my tan waist bag with I'd cautiously packed some necessities.

"Of course," He genuinely returned my easy smile.

Before we can walk through the gates made of sturdy wood, one of the few town guards stops up, saying gruffly, "Hey. If you're heading out, make sure to stay safe. Cyllene-san wants you to come back unharmed."

I nod at Cyllene's concern, as she had basically become my adopted mother who was always watching Rei and me. This was the first time we were thrust out into the big, wide world without her guidance. Shaking off reluctance, I cheerfully skip on the worn dirt path, my Poke ball containing Oshawatt ready in my dominant hand.

We walk a little way, Rei at my heels, but our stroll is cut short, for only five minutes after we departed, we meet up with the professor. The dark-skinned and hearty man wore a huge knit hat with a fluffy white puff ball on top, and he handed us each a big paper book. The first Pokedex. Its deep cobalt cover was sewn with a simple whip-stitch to the rest of the pages. There must've been a couple hundred pages in the entire volume. Rei's was identical to mine.

With a simple 'good luck' from the absent-minded and rather scatter-brained professor and several empty Pokeballs in our satchels, Rei and I head out for our first adventure, finally let loose from the village and had free range of the fields that stretched abundantly before us and spread around Jubilife.

We don't have to walk too far before we spot a small gray bird and I exclaim, "It's a Starly!"

"A-!" Rei's eyes widen as I clamp my hand over his mouth.

"Shhh." I bring one finger to my lips. "Starly will run at the smallest sound. A rather skittish Pokemon in my opinion."

I remove my hand from his mouth and carefully creep through tall grass, the naturally fragile blades brushing against my legs as I stalk the tiny creature until I'm within range. Pulling out a Pokeball, I aim, my tongue sticking out as I narrow my eyes at it. I arch my arm high in the air and let the ball fly. It hits the cute bird and then traps it with its circular frame. With a few puffs of smoke and several sparks... I captured my first Pokemon on this adventure!