Chapter FortySeven-"My Life Will Be Heck"

Thanksgiving break was now over. I had—or tried to have—fun with Kylie and Kenneth while they were in town. But at the same time, I was still adjusting to the Proliator secret. I hadn't talked to the Vega family at all. Or Mickie. When Nik hung out with me and Cheyenne, he acted indifferent, but I still saw a new flicker of light in his eyes that suggested he wasn't as cruel as before, especially when it was a chill day with Kylie, Kenneth, Cheyenne, Nik, and me. Cheyenne would ask about Sebastian and Nik would shoot me a small glance and Kenneth would change the subject and make up some lie. Honestly, I hadn't known where Sebastian was over break. He was either locked in his room, chauffeuring Jem, or just...out. Even when it was all of the family—ours and the Bergens—he was quiet and sent me glares full of resentment.

It was breaking my heart piece by piece.

This morning, I woke up super late and I was rushing around the house to gather my school things because I only had twenty minutes, yet Sebastian was at the front door smirking as if he planned for me not to hear my alarm clock. He left and that's exactly why I was late to advisory. By the time the attendance office's line got to me, it was second period and they just released us to class.

"Where were you?" Cheyenne asked in Journalism.

"I woke up late and didn't have a ride," I answered.

"Sorry," she apologized. "I just sort of assumed you would ride with Sebastian...my bad."

"It's fine," I lied. I sat correctly in my seat and basically fell asleep on the palm of my hand. There was nothing to do in this class. I was slowly going into a numbing sleep that was greatly appreciated—

"Angela!" my teacher yelled. My eyes snapped open and I looked around to see the entire class looking at me.

"Hmm?" I hummed with the least amount of care I could muster. Why would I? My brother was mad at me. I had no boyfriend to text. Cheyenne was busy gossiping. Mickie wasn't here. Dastan...was long gone. Why should I care in a class that held no interest for me anymore!

"Since you lack something to do, how about you can write an article on what you did this Thanksgiving?" my teacher suggested.

"...or I can just sleep here..."

"Or I can send you to the—"

"Can she help us on the school's social network? We're busy updating this month and December's upcoming information on the school's webpage," a nerdy boy named John asked. I rolled my eyes.

"She'd love to," my teacher answered for me. I literally rolled out of my seat and lazily stood up to trudge over to the computer. I logged in and got directions to "change this format" and "add these pictures," but five minutes into it, I realized that tagging the students involved in the Boys Basketball team's new pictures, they added a new player: #1, Dastan Vega.

Why would they add a player a month after tryouts and especially since Dastan didn't go here anymore? I clicked on his name that was also tagged in a trending topic of "RETURNING LETTERMAN RETURNS AFTER FALSE WITHDRAWAL." I already knew he didn't update it very often, but there he was, tagged in pictures of the team practicing and playing a game against a school over break. Suddenly, the screen automatically updated and a new status flashed on the top of his page. He had posted a status on Facebook and I clicked it in order to see it, but of course it was blocked on school computers so I just went on my phone for it. When I saw it, I wanted to cry.

His latest status: Don't let bitches think they can get to you after breaking up with your best friend.

Hayden was his best friend. I was that bitch.