Chapter Twenty-"Tradition"

The next morning, Sebastian, Cheyenne, and I rode in Sebastian's car to go to school, but right before we had reached the end of the alley, a gold Charger pulled in the way and it took no time between Sebastian slamming on the breaks and then he was slamming the door shut when he stepped outside. I exited the car as well, still catching my breath.

"Are you f*cking stupid!?" Sebastian yelled at Hayden, who was climbing out of the Charger. The cuts on his face from his fight with Sebastian seemed to be reopened and unhealed. However, his blue eyes were strong.

"I'm sorry, I just really need to talk to Angela right now," he said with a broken voice. I looked over to Cheyenne, who was in utter shock, and then back to Hayden. Sebastian would've approached him if it wasn't for the traffic. He was pissed.

"And you think she'll go with you after you nearly killed us back there!?" he screamed. Hayden muttered an apology, but then looked over to me.

"Please," was all he needed to say in an audible voice, before I walked over and climbed into his car. He joined me on the leather seating, but when I reached for his car keys, I took them.

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking over at him.

"I..." he tried to form words. He was in worse condition than Dastan and there was no way for him to deny it. "I messed up."

I stayed quiet. I couldn't ask him questions that I asked Dastan. I could only really listen to what he had to say. He looked over to me with dark blue eyes.

"I'm sorry about what I did to you on Monday. I shouldn't have pressured you when I know that you and Kenneth are already together. I was rushing...us and everything we have...or had," he apologized. I wasn't even worried about Kenneth at this point. I just worried as to why Hayden was so...distressed right now.

"It's okay," I whispered and meant it. Even though I cried for all of that time in Proliator's arms, I accepted Hayden's apology because I knew he meant it and he was being the Hayden that he portrayed to me this entire time, aside from Monday.

"It's not," he denied. "From the first day you got here I wanted you. And because Vega said that you were the girl that dared to—"

"Dastan?" I asked. What could I say? Another surprising action by Mr. Dastan Vega...But I do recall him being furious at my initial week of associating with Hayden, yet yesterday he'd rather me to be with him? It made no sense...as par usual.

"He said you were the girl that—never mind. I'll explain it later..."

"Explain it now," I demanded. He stressfully sighed.

"Can I at least get my keys so we're not late to school?" he asked.

"Fine," I allowed and then handed him the keys. He stuck it in the ignition and then drove off.

"You are the only girl that ever dared to backtalk Vega—not even Mickie does that," he reminded. So what? "Of course that spread around and your beautiful face with that amazing confidence? Everyone wanted you...I, especially, wanted you."

Oh.

"So I got even closer to you and I screwed it up when I fought with Sebastian over stupid shit...I thought there was no way to reconcile with you, but then I find out that you spent the entire day with Dastan, I thought that maybe you'd give me a chance if you gave him one."

"Hayden, that's why I went out with you on Monday in the first place," I informed. "But how could you expect me to want to be with you just like that, all because you think I want some social connection?"