Chapter Eighteen-"Come back."

"I'm surprised you agreed to come with me tonight," Hayden said as we walked around central park.

You weren't the only one.

"So what did you want to talk about?" I asked him.

"Us," he stated and then I felt him grab my hand. I stopped walking. I looked up to him. I didn't even ask him what he was talking about. I started shaking my head. "Think about it, Angela. Aren't you tired of Mickie messing with you and Dastan being such a jerk?"

"What do they have to do with anything?" I asked.

"Dastan and I wanted to invite you into our group, but I want you to...be my girlfriend instead," he informed. "If you're my girlfriend then Mickie has no choice but to be nice to you and Dastan will have to put up with you."

I tried to form words, but not quick enough before Hayden started to lean in. I took a step back and he stood up straight.

"No offense, but I rather not have Mickie be nice to me all because I'm dating you," I notified. "And I know how capable Dastan is about putting up with me, so no thank you. But your offer about joining your group—"

"You don't seem to get it, Angela," he said in a chuckle. What?  "I know that you're with Kenneth, but you and I deserve each other. You will get nowhere at school without being with me. Come on."

"I've gotten around just fine," I informed with resentment working its way into my perspective towards his words.

"With Cheyenne and Nik as friends, yeah right," he scoffed. "I'm talking about popularity and—"

"Wait a minute," I interrupted. "You really think I'm the kind of girl that will date someone else all for some stupid reputation? I--"

"No," he breathed. "I know you're different. You're looking for love and I'm willing to give that to you."

"And you expect me to just drop things with Kenneth?" I asked.

"As I see it, he's all the way in Frankford and wanted you to live your life here," he said. How did he know that? I looked down perplexed and then stepped away from him. That only made him tighten his grip and pull me into him. "Why does he even matter at this point? He waited sixteen years and he still didn't make a move on you. I'm not going to wait around for you like he did because I know what I want and I'm not going to cower from it. I want you, Angela."

He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I had no choice but to move my lips with his and I knew he'd take a mile with that knowledge. I felt his tongue glide against mine and that's when I started to pull back.

"Oh, you're mine now," he snickered. I knew I had an immediate attraction to him, but the thing is, I don't think really wanted to be with him. Not right now anyways. However, I didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise. He didn't give me a chance to...until he dropped me off at home and expected that he'd get the best goodnight kiss every.

Sure, I allowed him to kiss me, but when he slipped his tongue into my mouth, I pulled back because I was uncomfortable with my body feeling attracted to him even though everything else told me to be more reserved. 

"Hayden—"

He shushed me and continued to kiss me as if I wasn't opposed to it. Eventually, I gained enough strength to push him off of me.

"What's your problem?" he asked.

"Right now, you," I said honestly. He sized me up and then sat correctly in his seat.

"Get used to it," was all he muttered with a smirk to lead me to believe he was trying to flirt but right now the light casting on his face made it terrifying. I wanted to bust out crying at that. He wasn't forcing me here. He hadn't done anything to hurt me. But the tone he took in his voice was enough to make me crack for some reason. It made me feel as if I had absolutely no choice or say in the matter. I climbed out of the car without a farewell and ran straight up to my room after greeting my family.