Chapter TwentyTwo-"The Real Mickie"

When Hayden picked me up Thursday morning, I was still shaken up. And when he parked at school and turned off the car, I could tell that he noticed.

"What's wrong?" he asked, placing a hand on my knee. I could only be truthful with him.

"Dastan called me last night," I started, looking down at the dashboard.

"What did he say?" Hayden asked in a worried way, as if Dastan said something that could ruin him.

"He wanted to meet up," I answered. He sighed.

"And...?"

"I went to meet him, but he never showed," I finished. "And then I went to the park."

"What happened there?" he asked with a frown. "Did you find him?"

"No. I found RJ," I said, looking over at him. "These guys thought they knew me, but they didn't and when they approached me, RJ stopped them. Then it was RJ that made a move on me."

Hayden grip on my knee tightened and his jaw ticked with anger. I didn't know if it was from me agreeing to meet with Dastan, or about meeting up with dangerous people.

"And then the Proliator showed up," I announced. His grip relaxed. His tension relaxed. He looked over to me.

"What?" he asked in a breath. He didn't believe me.

"He saved me last night," I repeated.

"That's why you're shaken up?" he asked with narrowed eyes. "Because a superhero saved you again?"

"No. I'm shaken up because that's the second time that's happened to me here," I informed.

"Almost getting raped?" he asked.

No. Being watched over by the same superhero.

Hayden moved his hand to grasp mine.

"Kenneth was right when he said it wasn't safe for you here," he whispered, looking into my eyes. Great. "First, you're extremely gorgeous and then this is your second encounter with the Proliator? That's not safe at all, Angela."

I know that. But, the risk made me want to stay here. I wanted to be here in Proliator's care, even if it compromised my sanity for a while. I knew it wasn't safe, but I selfishly thought about all the people that would ensure that no one could actually hurt me.

"Well what am I supposed to do about that?" I asked. He brought our hands up to his lips and kissed them. When he let go, he put his arm around my waist and pulled me into him.

"I don't know, babe...I just don't know," he whispered and leaned his head on mine. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. I don't know how I was supposed to act now. I had too many near-rape situations, too much boy drama to deal with, and...the strange feelings I had concerning Proliator.

I wanted him around all the time. Every time I heard his name or story on TV, I thought of how it was the same guy in my room every night for about a week. My thoughts always rerouted me to him. And of course, every touch Hayden made to me made me remember the Proliator—only as an unbeatable comparison. If I didn't know better, it's as if I had some obsessive crush on him. No. If I didn't know better, I think I was connected to him in a way beyond emotions.

***

"I'm surprised you're actually coming shopping with me today," Mickie said as she strutted out of the school with me on her trail. I sighed. It had been a long day. Not only was Hayden completely sensitive, but Dastan was absent, and so was Cheyenne. I was basically left to socialize with Mickie—because she basically pestered me—and Nik was intent on avoiding me for some reason...probably because of Hayden.

"Well...I might not actually do some shopping, but I guess we can...bond...today," I shrugged as I sat down on her pink leather seats in her nice-smelling car.

"So...why aren't you going to anything tomorrow?" she asked me as she pulled out of the parking lot. Tomorrow was half a day. The first round of playoffs was tomorrow and of course, there was the party. However, once school was out, I was going back home, grabbing my bag, and then heading off to Frankford for the weekend.

"My dad is getting married next weekend and, because part of the wedding party is in Frankford, we're having rehearsal on Saturday," I explained. Not to mention, I didn't want to go to a party with Hayden that other girls had attended with him.

"Oh," was all she said.

Spending hours at the mall, I had helped Mickie pick out over four outfits that were equally considerable for the party tomorrow. Personally, I didn't care. But her? Oh yes...

"Why does everyone just...party here?" I asked Mickie. We were now at her house and she was trying on her new dresses and clothes with her own accessories and shoes. She walked out in a fading blue sun dress.

"Most of our school is full of kids that come from wealthy families. And most likely, those wealthy families are never actually around and try to buy us with money. Teenagers plus money and an empty house can really result into a number of things, but why not complain about it with your friends and half the school?"

I never thought of it that way.

"And plus, it's a place where anything can happen," she smiled. I wondered what she meant by that. All I could think of is a school-girl's crush acknowledging her, or a couple hooking up, or a drunken boy completing the best stunt ever. But I was sure none of that pertained to Mickie.

"I bet you and Dastan love them then," I commented, just to see how her and Dastan were. She stopped looking at herself through the mirror and turned to me.

"You don't know anything about me and Dastan," she muttered.

"I know that you two have had an ongoing courtship for years, now, and no matter how many times you two make out, you know in your pretty little head that it won't amount to anything," my jealousy spoke. Wait. My jealousy? "Ugh. Mickie, I'm s—"

"You're right," she admitted. What? She sat down on her bed beside me—as I felt horrible—and looked at me with a sympathetic look. "I try way too hard for him when I know nothing will ever happen. I should've quit while I could, but...now I can't."

I didn't know what she meant. She sounded like putting up with Dastan was a job. If it was up to me, Dastan would be a changed man by now if I had the time Mickie had with him.

"So tell me," she started a new conversation. "What's with you and Hayden? Like really. Not with the bullshit you put out there with everyone..."

"I mean, I like him, but..." there's someone else I like more.

"What are you gonna do when you have to tell Kenneth about him?" she asked. I paused. I never thought about that.

"He told me to live my life here," I notified. "I know that he and I love each other, but...he doesn't want me and I have Hayden who's fighting for a chance—"

"But are you fighting back?" she asked and it changed everything. I looked at her differently. "You can't just make decisions based off of the people that are fighting for you, Angela...you have to be a bitch and decide on what you're willing to fight for."

I would fight my common beliefs to hear the real Mickie. I'd have to fight the last sixteen years of memories with Kenneth to let him go. I would always fight Nik and Sebastian to be with Hayden. I would fight any criminal or villain to be with the Proliator. And more importantly, I'd fight through Dastan's social façade to get...the real Dastan; if he let me.