11 | Fostering Erudition

Start from the beginning

Miss Peterson was the woman who worked for the private school that employed me to tutor a small group of their children. Since it was a private school, the pay was decent, and even though it was only once a fortnight, the compensation was enough to cover my rent with a bit of extra cash to spare.

"No worries at all," I reassured her as I pulled out a tray of double chocolate chip cookies from the oven and placed them on a wiring tray to cool. "Is it Jake?"

"No, actually it's Arran."

"Really?" I asked, balancing the phone between my shoulder and ear as I removed my oven mitts. "I've never known him to be sick."

"Yes, it's his first day off school ever." She chuckled, lightly. "I know he likes to think he's invincible, but he's just a little boy, and even he gets sick."

"Well, I hope he feels better soon," I replied empathetically.

"I'll pass the message on. I'm sure he's looking forward to seeing you again when he's recovered."

I had my doubts about that.

Arran was a gifted child, but his talent lay in the creative arts, not in solving math problems for hours on end. Nevertheless, I knew it was important to make sure he didn't fall behind in his studies, especially if he hoped to pursue his creative passions one day.

When Arran first joined the group, I noticed that his exercise sheets were always covered in doodles, and only about half of the answers were attempted. It was clear that he struggled with traditional methods of learning, so I had to find a way to make our sessions more interactive and engaging for him.

I firmly believed in allowing individuals to express themselves in their preferred manner, and Arran's doodles were simply another form of self-expression. Rather than discouraging him, I found ways to incorporate his creativity into our sessions. However, I must admit that I still had my work cut out in making him enjoy the math itself.

"Do you have any idea of a rescheduled date?" I asked.

"I'm afraid we don't have a definite date yet. I'll have to coordinate with the other parents to find a day and time that works for everyone. I'll keep you updated as soon as I have more information."

"Great," I said. "Any day that isn't Thursday is perfect for me."

"Thank you, Zahra." I could hear her gratitude through the phone. "You're a star, and don't worry, this won't be coming out of your pocket. You will still be paid for today and the reschedule."

"There's really no need for that," I started.

"I insist," she said firmly. "You work so hard, and I refuse to not give you the money for your diligence, so don't try and refuse it."

"That's incredibly generous of you," I breathed out softly, feeling my heart fill with gratitude.

Miss Peterson's generosity was unexpected but greatly appreciated. With this extra money, I could breathe a little easier this month with groceries and other small things.

"It's my pleasure," she replied. "You work so hard, Zahra, and it's the least I could do. I'll be in touch soon. Take care."

"Thank you," I expressed my gratitude. "I appreciate it."

We exchanged a few more pleasantries before hanging up, and I placed the phone back on the counter.

As I gazed down at the tray of cookies, I wondered what I could do with them now that the tutoring session was cancelled. After a moment of contemplation, a brilliant idea popped into my head. I could reshape the cookies and use orange and black icing to turn them into pumpkin-shaped treats for tonight's book club meeting.