chapter fifteen - human nature

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺ ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ ° ┊┊ ┊┊ ➶ 。˚   ┊┊ ✧ ⁺. ┊┊. ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*. * ·"

 * ·"

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺ ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ ° ┊┊ ┊┊ ➶ 。˚   ┊┊ ✧ ⁺. ┊┊. ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*. * ·"

When we got home, I was surprised to see a stranger's truck parked in our driveway.

We didn't usually get visitors, or we'll Charlie didn't, so my suspicions on who was at the house arose quite quick.

"Who's car is that?" I asked aimlessly as Charlie pulled in to parallel park on the side of the house. His sights followed mine and it seemed the anonymous dusty red truck in the driveway wasn't so anonymous after all.

"That's Billy's truck—he must've decided to stop over for the big game," Charlie explained briefly.

"Big game?"

He chuckled, "I'm not a complete recluse when it comes to spending time at the house."

"Billy as in from the rez—Jacob Black's dad right?" I recalled my brief outing with said kid at La Push beach when he fanatically droned on about legends of wolves and vampires. Of course, now I wasn't exactly gain in them being merely fiction.

Charlie nodded at my scrupulous based questions curtly before he popped open the cruiser door and hopped out. I followed suit, worried this visit may turn into some sort of weird Kimi trap—she didn't really trust I had that many friends in spite of me going to Port Angeles with Jess and Angela, so it wouldn't be a surprise if she baited Jacob into befriending me. I mean, he seemed cool, but he was young. Like two years young. Just seemed a bit of a big age gape to be hanging out.

When we headed inside, me following loosely behind Charlie as I debated if running to my bedroom was an option, we were instantly clouded by the mouthwatering aroma of steak. I knew it wasn't Kimi because her kitchen skills were swift to none so the only person it could be was—

"Smells good in here! Did Billy finally teach you the ropes on how to not burn the meat?" Charlie commended with a tease, his rapture attending to Billy who was sitting in a wheelchair in the kitchen—he had long black hair like his son, but darker toned skin and much more wise-aged eyes with teased greys in his stubble—as the two briefly gave each other 'bro' exchanges of handshakes. Kimi smiled up dryly from standing behind the stove, a beer in one hand and a tonsil in the other as she rotated the steak on the stovetop. My eyes leaned to the young frame of Jacob Black however who managed a small laugh to dissuade the slight insult that Kimi obviously took offense too by the tight frown on her face.