chapter twelve - port angeles

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ °  ┊┊                                    ┊┊ ➶ 。˚    ┊┊ ✧ ⁺.                          ┊┊.                      ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*.           *    ·"

           *    ·"

༉‧₊˚. ✧. *. ⋆┄✧┄┄┄┄ ⋆┊┊┊┊ ➶ 𓆉。˚ ✧┊┊┊✧ ⁺    ⁺  °┊┊ .𓆟 ͎. 。˚ °  ┊┊                                    ┊┊ ➶ 。˚    ┊┊ ✧ ⁺.                          ┊┊.                      ➶-͙˚ ༘✶┊ ➶ 。˚   °*.           *    ·"

The next day I didn't feel any different aside from being more exhausted.

My brain was adamant to demand answers to everything that has happened thus far in my life—It was like trying to dig into an empty ditch coming short of nothing but dirt.

A black void. It was tiring.

I couldn't keep up anymore.

One thing seemed to look up this morning—the sun was basking the entire lot in its gleaming rays. I suddenly felt warmer inside.

When I headed downstairs, Kimi was no where to be found. She probably headed out to an early shift.

Or she was avoiding me like I was her.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Charlie, however, was surprisingly making eggs and—I inhaled the sweet nectar of sizzling bacon. To say I wasn't shocked Charlie was cooking was an understatement.

"Nice day out," Charlie seemed unusually pleasant this morning for someone who's investigating a murder spree. He briefly glanced at me, a smile greeting me softly.

"Yeah, actually. It is," I humored him, aimlessly wandering into the kitchen, but I didn't sit down. That would mean forcing conversation, and I wasn't exactly in the talkative mood.

He seemed satisfied by my answer, probably having expected a sarcastic reply. His brown eyes proceeded to crinkle at the edges—it made me wonder why Charlie was still single. As far as I knew from what Kimi told me, it was easy to see why Charlie and his ex-wife had jumped too quickly into a marriage. Most of the young romance he had in him, according to Kimi, his once curly boyish brown hair had dwindled, revealing his shiny forehead and age marks. But when he smiled, I could see why he had eloped so soon.

For a brief moment, he reminded me of my dad.

"So," Charlie coughed, that awkwardness slowly egging past his happy exterior shell, "How you liking school so far? Forks growing on you yet?"