Where My Loyalties Lie || Lupin

(No gender reader x Lupin, sometime before part 1?)

——

The sun was setting.

"Hehe—Hahaha!"

You chuckled as you sprinted with the wind through the green grass. Your messy hair.

Against the California hills were wild yellow poppies that bloomed after last week's heavy rainfall. The Bay called out to you for more adventure. And you can hear Lupins footsteps not too far behind you.

Your hilarious heist together was, well, hilarious, and officially over.

"Y/N!"

You spun around, looking back at the thief with a golden smile. You shut your eyes for a moment as a gust of a wind blast your face, messing with your hair again.

You were able to open one of your eyes, catching the blurry glimpse of a red, yellow, and black silhouette coming towards you. You hear him call you name out again. His voice filled with glee.

"Y/N!"

Lupin wraps his arms around your body and the two of you began to tumble down the hill.

You two were laughing the entire way down despite the dirt sooting your clothes and getting in your eyes.

You feel the grass tickle your cheeks and your smile hurting your face more than the ground itself. Lupin slinky arms held you close, his sporadic laughter filling your ears too.

It felt like a dream.

——

You woke up with Lupin by your side, yet not in a romantic fashion.

You were bandaged on every limb, as if you were meant to be immobilized. Your body ached with sore muscles and stinging wounds that must have been bandaged hours ago.

At your side of the bed was Lupin, his head buried in his arms upon the side of your mattress, snoring softly.

Lupins lips quivered with a fearful frown.
"What is wrong with you?"

From what you can recall, it was a heist gone worst.

Heists always go wrong with Lupin, but the bad ones are when they are at their worst. Close calls. Unbeknownst lives taken. The item you were both after was moved by a third party, who is usually worser than you and your partner combined.

-
You never hesitated putting your life on the line for Lupin. Perhaps it's your liking towards one another, respect to your intertwined family ties, or your naturally pure loyalty.

You'd take a bullet for him and you did.
You'd give up yourself for torture and you did.
And you know to some extent, he'd do or has done the same. Either way, Lupin has not ever given you reason to not fight for him other than his playful harassment.

Wherever your loyalties always became solid rock. Rules you live by until there is reason to break them. The threat of death has never been those reasons.

And the thief has never wrapped his head around that completely, but respected it nonetheless.

So when you've risked it all and left yourself for dead to his name, with only luck that he had found your body, what is it that you've truly gain?

It was that dream.
Not a real dream, but a memory. A dreamlike memory of pure bliss with this partner. With Lupin. It's temporary, and you've only known each other due to your families company. But he's given you a moment that you'll treasure til death. A moment you don't need to chase after to have again because it's instilled in your heart. And that alone has given him your unwavering loyalty.