Whew... that's a relief.

Me: Thanks.

Aaron: You're welcome. Oh, by the way. I have to say, you were right about Eloise and why you're so obsessed with her. Because she is H. O. T. Hot!

***

For the first time, I couldn't wait to leave New York and get home. New York has always been one of my favorite places to visit, but after Eloise went on a date with Mason and Aaron fucked up with her, I couldn't get to the airport fast enough. I even switched my afternoon flight to the morning one, and instead of ensuring I was sitting in first class, my fucked up ass took the only seat available in coach.

Aaron is right. I've completely lost it.

And now I know I went off the deep end because instead of going straight home after arriving in Chicago, I drove straight to the office to talk with Eloise. But when I got there, disappointment instantly set in when Emma informed me she had taken the day off.

"What's her excuse this time?"

"She took the day off to spend time with her parents, since today is the fourth anniversary of her older brother's unexpected death."

Now that wasn't what I expected to hear. My hand rested over my heart from the sudden discomfort in my chest—my heart aching for her. And because of that, I wasn't sure what to ask or say to Emma without it sounding insensitive or offensive.

I know what it's like to lose someone you love, so I know her pain. I also know if I ever were to lose my brother, I wouldn't know what to do.

With a stern look in Emma's eye, she continued, "So I will ask that you please not get on Eloise's case for not coming in today."

"I may be an asshole at times, and this isn't one of those times you need to worry about me being a prick to her," I assured her, because it was true. Losing a close family member is not something to give someone a hard time about, and if she took the day off to celebrate his life, then so be it.

"Good."

I turned around, and as I started walking, I told her, "I'll be in my office."

The first thing I did when I sat at my desk was show Eloise I have a heart.

From: Callum
To: Eloise
Subject: Sorry

Eloise,

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's untimely passing. Although it's been four years since he passed away, I want you to know that even though you and I have a bitter history, please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything you need. I'm here. Family is everything.

Sincerely,
Callum

I know she won't contact me for help or advice, but I still had to let her know and show I have heart and also let her know that I care.

Eloise may mockingly laugh at me with this email. And she has every right to. After what I did to her on the day of her grandmother's funeral, I deserve to be called out. That was insensitive of me, I know, and I still owe her an apology for that, which she will get from me when we're in Hawaii.

The next thing I knew I needed to do, since I hadn't already, was to get ahold of Rory and Isabelle to warn them about me changing rooms. It's also to let them know I know what they're up to.

So I sent them a group text.

Me: FYI, change of plans on the room situation in Hawaii. Since figuring out you set me up with Eloise and hid it from me, as well as her, which I'm pretty sure she still doesn't know, I called the hotel and swapped our basic room to the penthouse suite. I figured it needed to be worth it if you're making us spend time together in a hotel room.