ch-26 Memento mori(2)

"Then I fell into a ditch...
I mean a dungeon"

"I--I'm sorry could you repeat that again"

"Yeah one of those dungeons...Then I met a divine beast, and I'm currently stuck with him."

"Ah then it's easy to get out..
EXCUSE ME, SIR!??..a divine beast?? "
His right eye twiched so hard that it felt like it would fall off.
It's as if he's heard something so stupidly unbelievable that he can't wrap his head around it.

"And you are also on a run to top it all?"

"Yeah"
Placing a hand on my shoulder, he made a graceful fold with his fingers, making a gesture that's commonly seen on those old buddha statues. When his facial expressions began to somewhat lay resemblance to the same, he began to speak
"Have you ever considered to devote yourself to the earnest service of our gods."

"I--"

"They fix everything in life, Call it mental or physical sickness. You just have to close your eyes and invoke them with a pure mind. " A sixteen year old has never appeared so saintly to my eyes. Never.
.
.
And that's how people start to join cults.

"You don't need to speak further my child. Shh. "

"Just begin praying to the gods you like, and all your troubles will go away...
We have a lot of them in our world."
The troubles or the gods? I guess both.

"Are you done?"

"Yeah, But seriously what the heck is going on with your life? I had never even thought that it would all be so..
So dramatic."

"I wish I knew too."

"It's never too late to start praying, my dear"
I can't tell if he's being honest or being sarcastic. We do have quite a few fringe elements back on earth. I wonder how his experience would have been.

Suddenly, I could hear glasses shattering.
"I guess, my time here is over, Mr kuroda. Please don't worry, it will all get better soon.
And I will definitely be in touch with you through dreams like these from time to time."
The room slowly started turning dark and everything slowly started disappearing.

The figure of Alistair slowly vanishing little by little.

"Don't think too much about this world.
Please remember.. "

Everything turned pitch black before he could even finish what he was saying. The loud beeping noise that you hear when silence drops on your ears was everywhere. When I opened by eyes, it was already dusk, and the sun was setting by the ocean.

The magic orbs turned on by themselves in the hotel. It no longer felt as bizzare as it used to be. I suddenly remembered something.

I never actually got to read what was in the letter that Alistair's mother had left him with. Alistair himself got so occupied with his life that he never got a chance to read it. His schedule was so learning heavy that he even forgot that he had a letter to read.
I guess I should try reading it, would definitely be able to convey this when we meet each other again.
The letter was slightly browned with time. It had a little bit of warmth in it, as if it was penned not long ago, yet it was truly old.

__________________________________________

Dear Aaris,

By the time you get to read this, if you do, I would be long gone, Probably with your grandpa. I still remember how we used to share those hard breads together, yet those tasted so much better because we had those meals together.

I hope you don't resent me for choosing to part with you back then my son. I know that your education is important. When that-- I mean your father dearest said that he would take us in, I was partly enraged and partly happy.
Angry because I failed to provide a better life for you on my own.
Delighted because somehow our days of struggle seemed to be over for once.

For once my son would be educated... And that he was destined for success in life. Remember how I would ask your teachers everyday how he performed in class, although I would get dragged away real quick.

They feed me four meals everyday. I'm spending a relatively peaceful and luxurious life, there's a warm bed. No cold winters and tattered blankets. Yet it all feels really lonely because I wouldn't be able to see your face. But don't worry, mom will definitely turn into a good ghost, then she can be with you.
They say that us commoners don't reincarnate fast because we sin a lot more than the rich nobles.
It might be true.

You, my precious son, have been the heartbeat of my existence. I can close my eyes and see the mischievous sparkle in yours, hear your laughter echoing through our home. Your presence has been my sanctuary, and the love we've shared are the best moments I've ever witnessed in my life. I don't know when I would draw my last breaths-- will it be tomorrow? Day after tomorrow? But don't you dare be sad, okay?

Mom's gonna be with you, always.

Your uncles send me letters everyday. They constantly ask how you are doing. They say that they would even lay down their lives for their precious nephew. I advise them to not do that for they now have families of their own. Uncle Icarus will probably come running all the way from another continent if he knew you were in distress. Uncle Benirahs always says how he could even summon an army on my command. He sometimes forgets that he's only a concubine of one of the many princes.

I truly fear for his safety sometimes. When I heard the maids say that they have a custom of murdering siblings during succession disputes, I was horrified.
But no one has ever stopped uncle Beni from getting what he wants. But I sometimes wish I could stop him from going to that country. But I'm only a mistress in this huge household, drawing my last breaths.

I wish I could witness the chapters of your life yet to unfold and see the man you're becoming. Read, learn and become the best queen for this country.  Remember that your mother is always with you, no matter what you become. Mother prays everyday for you and your success. My pride, my joy, the pearl of my eye. I'm really sorry mom can't be there to see you succeed against all odds.

With all the love in my soul,
Your Mom
___________________________________________

My eyes became so itchy and sensitive that a stream of tears began to flow out. I'm not even Alistair, and yet this makes me cry out a swimming pool. He missed out on so much love in his life because of that jerk of a father. I wish Alistair was here to read this instead of myself. I want him to know so bad... How much he's been loved for and cared for, that poor child is out all alone there on earth. I truly wish he was the one reading this letter instead.

I ended up looking like a carp towards the end of all of it. Oh gods, if you are there, please don't let him bear any more suffering on earth. Please let him be happy.

Just as I was done with my face washing ritual, I was greeted with a knock on the door.

"This is the chief inspector of Jyarmedi city, Please cooperate, we will explain further at the station."

***************************************

Authors corner

This chapter was unexpectedly emotional. By the way, I kinda liked the cool sister in the previous chapter. I know, She's a minor character but she deserves a shoutout, imagine blowing up an entire company and forcing it to go bankrupt because they made your brother's life hell. Well, they had it coming frfr.

Also, There's police knocking at our mc's door? What did he do?

We will find out in the next issue.
*wink *wink

As always, if there's anything you would like me to add or remove from this chapter, don't hesitate to share your opinions. I love reading all your comments.

See you soon
(っ'-')╮=͟͟͞͞💌
☆*:. o(≧▽≦)o .:*☆