Chapter 10 | Things Happen |

Start from the beginning

    “Just checking. You're right, of course. Carry on.”

    “I must agree with Zoë,” Chiron said. “Artemis's presence at the winter council is critical. We have only a week to find her. And possibly even more important: to locate the monster she was hunting. Now, we must decide who goes on this quest.”

    “Three and three,” Percy said, and I looked over at him. He nudged my knee with his, then took my hand. “We're supposed to have five,” He said. Poor dear sounded self-conscious. “Three Hunters, three from Camp Half-Blood. That's more than fair.”

    Thalia and Zo looked at each other before Thalia said, “Well, it does make sense.”

    “I would prefer to take all the Hunters. We will need strength of numbers.”

    “You'll be retracing the goddess's path,” Chiron said, with a look of wisdom in his eyes. “Moving quickly. No doubt Artemis tracked the scent of this rare monster, whatever it is, as she moved west. You will have to do the same. The prophecy was clear: The bane of Olympus shows the trail. What would your mistress say? ‘Too many Hunters spoil the scent.’ A small group is best.”

    Zoë picked up a ping-pong paddle and it sorta seemed like she was having her dramatic moment with it. I didn’t have the time for drama. I set my head on Percy’s shoulder. It gave me a swirling sensation in my stomach that made me feel kinda sick. I quickly lifted my head and sighed. I couldn’t have this crush. I just needed some time away from him to get over it. Simple as that.

    “This monster- the bane of Olympus. I have hunted at Lady Artemis's side for many years, yet I have no idea what this beast might be.” Zoë said, bringing my attention back to the meeting.

    The eyes went to Dionysus and he looked up and said, “Well, don't look at me. I'm a young god, remember? I don't keep track of all those ancient monsters and dusty titans. They make for terrible party conversation.”

    “Chiron, you don’t have any ideas about the monster?” Percy said, and I stared at the table so hard it hurt my eyes.

    “I have several ideas, none of them good. And none of them quite make sense. Typhon, for instance, could fit this description. He was truly a bane of Olympus. Or the sea monster Keto. But if either of these were stirring, we would know it. They are ocean monsters the size of skyscrapers. Your father, Poseidon, would already have sounded the alarm. I fear this monster may be more elusive. Perhaps even more powerful.” Chiron said, pursing his lips.

    “That's some serious danger you're facing,” Travis said. Lovely use of the word you instead of we. “It sounds like at least two of the five are going to die.”

    “One shall be lost in the land without rain,” Beckendorf said. “If I were you, I'd stay out of the desert.”

    “And the Titan's curse must one withstand,” Silena said. “What could that mean?”

    “One shall perish by a parent's hand," Grover said, still eating the cheese whiz and ping-pong balls. "How is that possible? Whose parent would kill them?”

    Percy and Thalia had a heavy staring session after that. Must’ve been with their parents being the Big Three with their whole pact that failed…I hope they don’t die.

    “There will be deaths,” Chiron declared. “That much we know.”

    “Oh, goody!” Dionysus said, his head in a wine magazine. He looked up innocently and said, “Ah, pinot noir is making a comeback. Don't mind me.”

    “Percy is right. Three campers should go.” Silena said.

    “Oh, I see,” Zo said, sarcastically. “And I suppose you wish to volunteer?”