Epilogue

The cup of decaf coffee in your hands is warm, your chilled fingertips relishing in the heat. You shift in the plush couch the rehabilitation center has set out in the main room, maxi dress sweeping your sandaled feet as you cross your legs.

"My little girl been giving you hell, angel?"

Elvis asks, playing with your hair.

His eyes are bright, lively. His hair, which had always been dyed black, has grown out a bit, his roots a touch lighter.

You roll your eyes, swallowing your sip of coffe. God, you miss caffeine.

"Of course she is, she's your daughter." You look at Elvis's hand, ringed fingers resting on the swell of your belly.

Elvis laughs. The sound makes me you smile, snuggling into his side.

The two of you are sat in front of a wide picture window, watching the world go by.

It's been four months since Elvis's overdose. Four months since you two separated. Slowly but surely, you feel yourself twining back into him, letting down your walls and learning to trust him again.

"You know," you say, breaking the silence. "I knew you'd get better."

Elvis hums in response.

"I always knew you were strong enough."

Elvis kisses the top of your head.

"You give me strength, Y/N. You and our daughter."

You smile, head on his shoulder as you watch the sun disappear behind a cloud.

"It's not linear- nothing is- but it's easier knowin' I got people who need me outside of this place." Elvis muses.

"It's funny. I never thought my life would turn out this way." You say, lifting your head to look at him.

"Yeah?" He says, big blue eyes locked on yours.

"Yeah. I always thought I'd end up all alone, a spinster or something living in Venice." You smile, laughing to yourself. "Then you came into my life with your stupid pretty smile and sweet talk and I was finished."

Elvis laughs along with you, stroking your cheek.

"I'm glad I met you, angel."

"I'm glad I met you, too." Your voice is soft, and you let him lean in close enough to kiss you, eyes on your lips, but you pull away last minute.

"We'll get there." You tell him. He smiles, a little disappointed but understanding.

"You still got that appointment this afternoon?" Elvis asks, and you nod, checking your watch.

"Yep, gonna make sure baby girls doing alright in there."

Elvis nods, moving to help you up off of the couch. As your daughter grows, things like bending down and getting off of couches has become nearly impossible.

The two of you walk to the front entrance of the facility, hand in hand. It's a brilliant summer day, and you smile as he holds the door for you.

"I'll see you this Friday?" You ask, and Elvis nods, toothy grin on his face.

"I'll be countin' the days."

You giggle, pretty blush lighting you up.

Before you turn away, Elvis grips your arm.

"Hey," His tone is serious, makes you stop in your tracks. You look up at him with big eyes.

"I will always love you, Y/N. Always."

You feel the familiar prick of tears in the corners of your eyes, taking a moment to swallow back your emotions before you respond.

"I love you, Elvis. Forever and always."

He smiles, that shy, boyish one you fell in love with almost a year ago. You can't believe how fast everything has happened. But that's life, you suppose.

You meet someone and it's as if time stops, as if your world narrows down to one person and one person alone.

You've learned in the past few months that that's not always healthy, not for either parties. However, despite choosing to take a break from the relationship, your love for Elvis has never faded. It's reassuring to know that it hasn't faded on his end either.

He lets go of your arm, and you send him one last smile before heading out the door.

On your way to your car, you watch as a songbird rustles it's way out of a tree, soaring off into the summer sky.

Everything's gonna be alright, you think a syou place your hand on your stomach, feeling for your baby.

"Everything's gonna be just fine." You say.

Fin