Make The World Go Away

The two of you sit there stunned for a moment, and then all of a sudden Elvis is opening his door and calling out towards the cameramen.

"You followin' me now?" He shouts, making you jump. His southern drawl seems thicker in his anger.

"He got you tailin' me? Is that what this is?" Elvis has one foot out of the car and you have a feeling things are about to get ugly. You're quick to grab his jacket sleeve, tugging at it urgently.

"Elvis please, let's just go."

He stops trying to exit the vehicle when he feels your hands on him, but the look he gives the startled cameramen is murderous.

He slams the door, arm over his seat as he backs out of the parking space.

"Jesus," Elvis sighs, running a hand through his hair. He has this wild look in his eye, frustration and disappointment rolled into one.

"I- I'm sorry doll, this isn't how I wanted this night to go."

You shake your head.

"No, don't apologize. It isn't your fault they follow you like that."

You rest what you hope is a comforting hand on his shoulder.

Elvis sighs shakily, eyes focused hard on the road.

It's silent for a majority of the aimless drive until a thought comes to you.

"Elvis," you inquire. "What did you mean by 'he' had them tailing you?"

Elvis looks at you out of the corner of his eye.

"There's a lot about my life that people don't know about, angel. A lot of things kept in the dark."

You tilt your head.

"If you wanna talk about it, you know I'm here for you. I won't push you."

Elvis smiles softly.

"I knew I was right about you."

You lean forward in your seat.

"What's that supposed to mean?" You giggle.

"That you're special." That makes you blush. "That you're like an angel, my guardian angel."  That makes your heart skip a beat.

You run a hand through his hair, finally looking out the windshield as the lights of the city begin to disappear.

"Where are we going, Elvis?"

He taps his fingers against the steering wheel.

"Someplace quiet." Elvis looks over to you. "I think you'll like it."

He rolls down his window, and you do the same. The cool night air floods the car. Elvis flicks through the radio, raising the volume.

Love Child by The Supremes plays through the speakers.

"You ever been up in the hills, darlin'?" Elvis asks over Diana Ross's vocals.

You shake your head.

"I'm not from L.A., there's a lot I haven't done here yet." You tell him.

Your hair whips around you as the car climbs higher and higher into the hills.

Suddenly you understand where he's taking you.

"We're going to the sign?" Excitement fills your voice. You've always wanted to see it up close.

Elvis nods, smiling.

"You're pretty sharp, little one."

You flick your hair out of your face.

"I know it."

That makes him laugh.

The road is dusty and a little dark, but you make it up in one piece.

You see the outline of the Hollywood sign staring you in the face, all of the cracks and dents in the metal giving it character and life. Once Elvis has the car parked, you jump out excitedly.

"This is crazy, you can see the whole city from here!"

You're standing between the H and the O, looking down at L.A. with wide eyes. You're arms are spread a little, standing up on your tiptoes. You feel like you're about to take flight.

Big hands wrap around your waist from behind.

"Don't fly away from me, now." He murmurs into your ear, lips brushing gently against the skin there. The hair stands up on your arms.

You move your hands to rest over his.

"Elvis, this is beautiful."

"Yeah," he agrees. "It really is."

Elvis hasn't taken his eyes off of you once.

You turn your head to look at him, lips mere inches from each other.

"Thank you for taking me here." You whisper.

He smiles.

"I'll take you wherever you wanna go, mama, just say the word and I'll give you the world."

You hum in response.

"I don't really want the world." Your eyes flicker to his. "Just you."

Elvis leans in.

"I think I can arrange that."

He kisses you softly, and the stars seem to shine even brighter tonight.