If I Can Dream

After the whole ordeal with the Colonel, Elvis decides to take you out back to talk. Candice is off with Vernon, the older man giving her a tour of the house.

Elvis's backyard overlooks a low valley, the yard perfectly trimmed and decorated with flowerbeds of all kinds.

It's beautiful. It makes you feel at ease.

Elvis has your hand in his, gripping it tightly.

"I wanna take you out again tonight." Elvis says after a few moments spent in silence.

You look at him, brushing a stray piece of hair from you forehead.

"Yeah? Even with all the craziness that went down?"

Elvis chuckles.

"I have to say doll, you and I look good together on the front page."

You laugh, bumping your hip against him.

"Well I'll gladly go out with you again."

He slips an arm around your waist.

The two of you stand like that for awhile, just gazing out into the valley. It's nice, peaceful.

"Your parents upset about the news article?"

The question is sudden, and the ache in your chest is sharp.

You lean your head against him.

"I wouldn't know. They don't talk to me."

It's a painful thing to admit, not something you share with a lot of people.

Elvis gives your waist a squeeze.

"They're missing out on a wonderful gal, I'll tell you what."

The statement makes you smile. Elvis doesn't press for details, seeming to sense how touchy the subject is.

"You're real sweet to me, Elvis." You mumble. You're not used to this kind of treatment. Every other man you'd been with had treated you like a trophy, something to wave in the eyes of their peers.

You've never been treated with such humanity before.

Elvis shrugs.

"I'm just treating you how you should be, baby."

A songbird flutters past, chirping brightly as it lands before you.

This sparks something in you, and you turn your face upwards towards Elvis.

"Did you know that songbirds migrate at night?"

Elvis peers down at you, eyebrow raised.

"Why would they do that?"

"Well," you begin, using your free hand to gesture at the bird. "They use the stars as a sort of compass, the light guiding them to where they need to go."

Elvis hums, watching you intently as you explain.

"I've always thought that was kind of beautiful. You know, songbirds looking at stars." You look back at him with a smile. "Kinda reminds me of you."

Elvis breaks out into a wide grin.

"I've never met anyone like you before, Y/N. I love the way you speak."

A light blush paints your cheeks as you giggle, hiding your face into his chest.

"Don't do that," he takes your chin in his hand. "I like seeing you smile."

Elvis's eyes are sincere, tender. They flit across your face before landing on your lips, and you're both leaning in when Candice comes bounding out to the backyard.

"Y/N!" Elvis and you turn towards her quick.

Her dark curls bounce wildly as she comes to a stop infront of you.

"I called Ruth to see if she'd check up on the apartment for us, and she says the whole buildings flooded with reporters!"

You leave Elvis's embrace to stand in front of her.

"Oh, shit." You say despairingly.

As if this day couldn't get any more stressful.

Elvis rests a hand on your shoulder.

"Y'all are more than welcome to stay here until they clear out." He says, looking between you and Candice.

Candice looks at you, eyebrows raised.

"What do you think, girl? It'd be safer than having to keep the paparazzi from breaking in."

You can't help but agree, turning back towards Elvis.

"If you're sure it won't be any trouble," you begin.

"No trouble at all, doll. I'd love it if you stayed with me." Elvis sends a smile Candice's way. "And I'm sure my cousin Billy'd love to get to know you, to, Candice."

Candice laughs and rolls her eyes, but you know she's flattered.

"Then I guess that's that, we're crashing with Elvis Presley." Candice shakes her head in disbelief. "I can't believe this is my life."

You laugh.

"Me either."

You take a moment to look at Candice, really look at her, and your heart swells for your friend. The sunlight illuminates her dark completion, her black hair seeming to shine. You grab her hands.

"Thank you, Candy."

Her smile is soft, eyes bright as she grips your hands in return.

"You don't have to thank me, Y/N. I know you'd do the same for me."

You lean forward, taking her in your arms. She hugs you tightly, sighing into your shoulder.

The two of you stay like that for a moment before Candice pulls back, clearing her throat.

"Well, I'm gonna head back inside." She nods her head towards Elvis. "Looked like you two were a little, uh, busy."

She winks at you.

You laugh aloud, rolling your eyes.

Candice heads back in the direction of the house.

"I think Billy's coming around in a few minutes!" Elvis yells out to her, hand raised. "Maybe he can show you your room!"

Candice let's out a laugh, shaking her head as she runs back inside.

You turn to Elvis, smacking his chest playfully.

"You trying to set your kid cousin up with my best friend?"

He grabs his chest playfully, feigning injury.

"Poor kid needs somebody to keep 'im in line." He jokes. "Candice seems more than qualified for the job."

You laugh, surprising Elvis by wrapping your arms around his neck.

"I believe we were in the middle of something, Mr. Presley." Your eyes are hooded, mischievous.

Elvis wraps his arms around your waist.

"I believe so, pretty girl." He bites his lip, leaning down. "Right about here, I think."

The songbird soars above you, it's song light and beautiful as your lips meet.

Despite all of the craziness of the day, you feel happier than ever in Elvis's arms.