Suspicion

Elvis lingers in the hallway for a bit, hands in his pockets and head hung low.

He thinks about everything that has transpired this evening - the contacts, the news articles- but mostly, he thinks of Y/N.

Elvis thinks of the way her hair falls down her back, how her eyes sparkled when she was explaining the migration of songbirds to him, how happy she looked when she was dancing.

He thinks of the life he wants with her.

Elvis looks at one of his hands, a small ink stain blemishing his skin.

The Colonel's final words to him replay in his head:

"If you resign me, this article never gets out, and you and your little girlfriend get to go on- what was the title of that song? Playing house?"

Elvis had signed it to keep her safe. To keep her with him.

He sighs, pushing himself away from the wall.

He doesn't know what he's gonna tell Y/N, but all Elvis can think of is being in her arms.

*

*

*

Candice and Billy sit with you, drinks in hand as you relay the story of the two men leading Elvis away.

Billy looks grim as he throws back the rest of his drink.

"That was Henry and Lewis, goons the Colonel hired a few years back." He shakes his head. "They're meant to put the fear a God into anyone who disagrees with the Colonel."

This does nothing to make you feel better.

Candice leans into your side, a comforting presence.

You swirl your drink absently when you spot Elvis emerging from the hallway, looking serious. His jaw is set, and he's walking briskly towards your table.

"Billy," the younger man jumps, turning to face his cousin. "I want you to call Joe and have him take you and Candice home, I need to talk to Y/N."

You stand.

"What the Hell did he want-" Billy starts, but Elvis shakes his head.

"I'll explain it later, just make sure you and Candy get home okay, got it?"

Billy nods, grabbing Candice's hand as he heads towards the phones. Candice throws a glance your way, and you give her a reassuring smile.

You move towards Elvis, trying to keep from jumping into his arms and staying there the rest of the night.

He looks at you, hands in his pockets, shy smile on his face.

It comforts you to a certain degree.

"Wanna go for a drive?"

You return his smile.

"You bet."

The drive up to the Hollywood sign is spent close together, your body a comforting presence for Elvis. He drives with one hand on the wheel, his arm looped around your shoulder.

You sigh, nuzzling into his neck a little.

The windows are rolled down, and the air is cool as the two of you make your way up the old dirt road.

The only time Elvis takes his hands off of you is to out the car in park.

The both of you sit in silence a little longer before you speak.

"Are you okay?"

Elvis doesn't say anything for a moment, just rests his chin on your head.

"I had to resign him, Y/N."

You sit up to look at him in shock.

"What?"

"I had to, baby. Let me explain-" You don't let him finish, already opening the car door and hopping out, the dirt cool against your bare feet.

"Elvis Presley, I can't believe you!"

You're exasperated, throwing your hands up as you turn on your heel. He's excited the car as well, reaching for you as he walks around the car.

"Baby-"

"Oh don't baby me, Elvis! You know that man's no good!" You step closer to him. "Honey, the Colonel's gonna bleed you dry, run you into the ground, how could you do this-"

"I did it for you!"

This stops you in your tracks.

Elvis has a hopeless look on his face, confusion and hurt all rolled into one sorrowful expression.

"What do you mean you did it for me?" You cross your arms.

Elvis runs a hand through his hair.

"Your brother, the Colonel knows about Kerry."

Time seems to stop. It feels like you can't breathe.

A million and one thoughts run through your head, but only one word comes to mind.

"How?"

Elvis chances a step to you, noticing your fear and anxiety.

"I don't know, Y/N. The Colonel's a powerful man, he's got connections everywhere around this town."

You let him put his hands on your still locked arms, not moving as you swallow. You feel like throwing up.

"What does my brother have to do with all of this?"

Elvis makes you look at him, taking your chin in his hand gently.

"There's an article, an exposé or somethin'. The Colonel threatened to release it if I didn't sign him back. That, and drain me dry with that damn financial document."

A tear slips down your cheek, and Elvis is quick to wipe it away.

"Oh, honey."

He takes you into his arms, and you can't hold back the sob that escapes your chest.

You hold him close, crying into his chest.

"Elvis-" you voice breaks. "Elvis, I tried so hard to protect him, to keep him safe."

Elvis hushes you.

"I know, baby. I know."

You pull back to look at him, and even with mascara smeared down your cheeks you're still the prettiest thing he's ever seen.

"I can't let you resign that man, Elvis." You're frantic at this point, gripping his suit jacket. "Let them print whatever they want about me, I don't care. Kerry's in New York, he'll be safe there."

Elvis is shaking his head, but you don't let him get a word in.

"We can find you a new prompter, and I'll help you pay the Colonel off-"

"Y/N,"

"There has to be something we can do-"

"Y/N, baby, it's done."

You stop, looking at Elvis with big, wet eyes.

"What do you mean?"

He looks away from you, unable to meet your eyes.

"I signed the contract. We're headed to Vegas in a week."

The silence is deafening.

"Why?" The brokenness of your voice is like a knife to his heart.

"For you, Y/N. You're my girl, and I'm gonna do everything I can to protect you and the people you care about."

You want to be angry with him, for letting himself be trapped under the Colonel's thumb once again, but you can't help but love him to death in this moment.

You surge up to kiss him, surprising you both.

Elvis wraps you in his arms tightly, the kiss sloppy and emotional. You gasp as you pull away.

"I'll be with you every step of the way, Elvis," you say, holding his gaze firmly. You wipe away the single tear that spills down his cheek.

"I promise."