Part 18: The Sting of Death

Start from the beginning

"How many people did you kill in here?" Eve cut her off. "Did they beg you to stop too?"

She eased her hold just enough to let her pull a small breath in. She didn't want her to pass out yet. "Did you listen to their pleas?"

"I-"

"Of course you didn't." Eve pressed down harder than before as she thought about the lives taken by the careers while smiles lined their faces.

"This is for them."

Before she could watch the light fade from Clove's eyes, strong arms ripped her from the girl's body.

"Let go of me!" Eve screamed and thrashed as Cato held her back against his hard chest.

His arms were tightly wrapped around her, pinning her arms to her sides while she kicked her legs.

"You have five seconds to calm your ass down." He rumbled against her ear.

At the sounds of Clove coughing on the ground, Eve's body went limp in his arms.

She didn't know what to do. What to say. Clove deserved to die. She was ruthless and enjoyed spilling blood.

But could she really blame her? She was like Cato. A pawn in the Capital's game.

Eve kept her mouth shut as Cato set her on the ground.

He was looking at her like she was crazy.

A laugh fell from her mouth and she cringed at the sharp sting it brought. Blood dripped from the corner of her mouth and she pressed her knuckle against it.

One thing became sickeningly clear to her as she stopped her own bleeding. Cato didn't try to save her. He saved Clove.

While she looked up at him, Cato's mind was racing.

He didn't know what to do. All he knew was that he couldn't let her kill Clove. Not like that.

When she got out, she'd have to rewatch that scene in front of the entire country. He could see her face now. Flushed with guilt as she tried to look strong.

He couldn't stand by and let that happen. He'd roll over in his soon to be grave.

That's when they saw the smoke in the distance.

Cato looked away from her and to the other tributes. "Come on."

Clove pushed herself to her feet and collected her knives.

Cato didn't wait up as he jogged into the woods.

Marvel lightly grabbed Eve's arm as he coaxed her along with them.

Her mind was blank as she jogged beside them through the woods.

Eve noticed the second fire and halted the group's movements.

"I'll go check it out." She said.

"I'll go with." Marvel said from beside her.

Cato's eyes met Eves. He knew this would likely be the last time he saw one of them. With his money on Eve, he nodded his head and sent them on their way.

She ran beside the boy until her lungs started to burn.

"Hurry up." He barked, pushing her forward.

They made it to the fire. It was huge. Far bigger than anyone would make on accident. Eve knew it was Katniss. She was planning something.

Eve knew the career's alliance was ending. Sooner or later they would turn on each other like she had.

Marvel was staring at the fire in front of him.