Liber Secundus IV

Start from the beginning

'We can talk about this later,' Origo replied, 'Let's have lunch.'

As Origo walked off the central stage, Elano followed with papers still in hand. The rest of the Foreverends began to stand up and make their way out of the summit hall. The grand circular chamber was soon empty as all the leaders and followers followed the rest to the exit doors. 

Origo and Elano walked as orderly as possible within the organised departure amongst the crowd.

'Why dinner?' Elano asked Origo, 'Why not-'

'Hush, Elano,' Origo muttered, 'Dinner's on the roof, everyone!'

As the crowd entered the elevator hallway, individual Houses took the four elevators available, leaving the rest of the Houses to wait on the lounge. Some went for the couches and benches, while the rest of the Foreverends were either standing up or lining up at the elevator doors.

'How long do you reckon?' Elano asked Origo, folding up his papers.

'The wait time?' Origo asked, 'Why don't we just take the stairs?'

'Uh...' Elano shrugged, 'Okay.'

The two began making their way past the ocean of heads and robes, squeezing and weaving between the bodies.

'Make way, people!' Elano shouted, 'Make way-'

Origo shushed Elano, 'Excuse me, ladies and gents! Sorry, again. Sorry.'

Elano gazed at Origo's wording. He thought about taking notes, then realised he didn't have a pencil. He put his papers back into his breast pocket. After their trek through the dense leaders,  Origo and Elano opened a heavy wood door and let it close automatically.

'Isn't this an emergency staircase?' Elano asked, his voice echoing.

If it were an emergency,' Origo began, 'An alarm would be going off right now.'

'Oh, okay.'

The two began walking up the staircase, Origo in the lead. The red walls around the two didn't easily cover up the cracking concrete bricks behind them. Origo silently walked on the concrete stairs, while Elano was getting out his papers and re-reading them all over.

Origo, still walking up, spoke calmly, 'Whenever you give a speech, straighten your back.'

'Excuse me?' Elano asked, putting his papers away while still walking.

'Also, make eye contact with the people,' Origo responded, 'You should look confident when giving a speech.'

'Look, I can talk to a... single House,' Elano stumbled softly, 'But in a summit? The closest I've done that was at my wedding! And even then I was talking to family and friends, who just happen to be in power as well.'

'You didn't study public speaking?' Origo asked, 'Because that's all I'm hearing.'

'I can... talk, I guess?' Elano responded, 'And you can study public speaking?'

'It's a prerequisite for being a Foreverend,' Origo proclaimed, 'A degree in public speaking increases your chances of getting into office, but because you, well... I don't know, I guess you'll just have to learn from me.'

'Will you...' Elano mumbled erratically, 'Um... teach me personally?'

Origo began laughing his lungs out. He stopped walking and smacked the red railing out of amusement. His erratic laughter ricocheted off the walls and amplified its volume, forcing Elano to cover his ears.

Origo began to calm down, rubbing his eyes, 'I told you to follow my lead, not ask for lessons!'

Elano watched as Origo composed himself, he then kept walking up the stairs.