An Old Tale Is Retold

Chapter 8: An Old Tale is Retold

-x-x-x-

8man's Journal, October 22, 2035

Totsuka was first, Isshiki was second and the Yukinoshita sisters were third and fourth respectively. Three dead. One was my friend, one was my kohai, one was my therapist. Totsuka was thrown, Isshiki was shot, Yukinoshita Haruno was poisoned. Yukinoshita Yukino survived. She fought and saved herself. She needed no one. Her fate would have been worse. She was busy while her husband hid abroad. Running her own business ventures, handling matters in Falcon Facilities, giving pointers to Ebina and finally overlooking funeral services of her older sister took most of her time. She was bogged down but she carried her responsibilities and asked no one for help. She has learned to depend on her own self, a painful lesson indeed but now she is free from subjugation and enslavement. Her family expected this from her. Haruno Yukinoshita made herself into her enemy only for her to succeed her. Yukino Yukinoshita won everything by losing everyone. She should be proud. At the peak of Mount Everest there is nothing but snow and Yukinoshita Yukino found her rightful place many decades ago when she married Hayama but only now everyone sees her wearing a crown and carrying a royal scepter. She is a queen in need of no king, no knight, no courtier and no jester. She rules her kingdom, a sovereign state made up of ghosts and ghouls from her past and at night when a strong wind blows she feels nothing, neither cold nor guilt. Maybe she could teach me a thing or two, would make it easier to sleep at night and come up with a better excuse to not attend anymore funerals. Three funerals are a bit much even for my melancholic self. Accepted Totsuka is dead and said farewell to her widow, may she find peace in her life aboard. A world without a meddling paparazzo and a bullying therapist might do wonders for my physical and psychological wellbeing but knowing they are dead makes me guilty. Their deaths are my fault regardless of what anybody says. Slacked off on security detail, took no precautions to account for sniper activity and shot Isshiki. Likewise skipped last therapy session, neither called nor left a text and poisoned Haruno. A sniper, a poisoner and a sergeant all are equally culpable.

Condition in household is deteriorating.

Placed Saki Kawasaki, Keika Kawasaki and Komachi Hikigaya under house arrest, at least according to them.

Nothing near illegal, they are exaggerating. Only visited their respective places of work, met with their respective bosses, explained to them our situation and told them to grant all three women a leave of absence for an indefinite period. Left final decision in their hands and made them chose wisely. Nothing much to chose from, their respective establishments could be under attack at any moment, jeopardizing their entire workforce, placing them under threatening situations could cause any disgruntled employee to sue their respective employers and when one case could be filed why not several. Employers, bosses and heads of departments, they all agreed and now, technically, three women are out of their respective jobs. Needless to say they are not exactly happy with my decision. Saki Kawasaki cursed like a sailor, Komachi said she lost faith in her older brother and Keika-chan said she will never forgive me. United we hate, divided we hate is their new motto. They should have them on a tee-shirt and wear it on my funeral. Of course having them all at home made me have a little peace, figuratively speaking. Taking Taishi Kawasaki off the case was a hard decision but safeguarding his sisters and my sister takes priority over everything else. Wanted to place Tsurumi under protection, have her join them but she threatened to go on live television if she so much as sees a traffic police within two yards of her. Told her not to expect any condolence money from me when she dies, she threw a stapler at me. Caught it, threw it out the window and told her to stay safe. Only so much I can do.

Saki Kawasaki slapped me, a hard slap, drew blood. Told her she can hate me all she wants, told her she can wish me dead. She punched me next. No tears, no crying. Helplessness, sadness found form in physical violence. Maybe she was expecting a reaction, maybe she wanted to fight. She is capable, taught Komachi and Keika-chan self defense, gave lessons to Tsurumi also. Her brother learnt basics from her before undergoing proper police training and it can be safely said she gave me a hands on experience on how to take a beating. She is a fighter, a survivor but she shows mercy and believes in compassion. She watched me, waited for me and then left. Our goodbye was silenced. Better. There is no good in goodbye. She can help our younger siblings and remain at home while I take matters into my own hand. We are mere spectators to a tragedy, came to realize this when Yukinoshita Yukino was assaulted in a random back alley.