27. Relentlessness

"Can I take you somewhere?" Vel asked, on a restful evening where they'd managed to find a few hours to themselves.

"Where?" Tech asked immediately, already considering his responses to the possibilities.

Her initial reaction was to insist on a surprise, but having a better understanding of how his brain processed the world, she opted for a better approach: "To a lookout over the asaari forest."

"That sounds optimal."

She smiled, reaching slowly for his hand and slipping her fingers through his. She felt him stiffen for a second in response but he allowed it, and off they went. Vel was so distracted by the warmth of his hand around hers that it was a struggle to stay on the right path. Fortunately, without getting too off-track, made it.

The lookout was in a quiet tower on the edge of the central complex. The floors beneath were filled with indoor green rooms, full of plants in various stages of growth and study, and the lookout itself was a simple, circular platform at the top of the building. There were a few macrobinoculars on stands at various points around the edge with informative placards next to them. They were punctuated by long benches under lush trellises of vines and flowers, each one angled to allow for leisurely viewing of both the expansive forest on one side and the plains on the other.

Tech immediately gravitated toward the nearest placard, dropping his visor to augment the information with his own records. Vel allowed him a moment of exploration, standing quietly at his side, before inviting him to an open stretch of balcony. The sun had set recently, and the golden haze had faded into a cool blue glow that allowed the first few stars to peek out.

They leaned on the railing for a moment, simply observing, before Tech removed his helmet, holding it at his side. He then turned to Vel with a sudden sense of urgency.

"Vel," he began, regarding her earnestly, "I am aware of the beauty of the situation, as well as the growing connection between us throughout our recent adventures. I hope you feel the magnitude of my attraction toward you and my desire to bring you delight and comfort. However, I am also aware that our dynamic is weaker in one area that traditionally accompanies this sort of thing. Do you remember when we were dancing on Cantonica, and you said you wanted to kiss me again as you had at the waterfall?"

A little bolt of lightning flashed in her chest, and Vel nodded as he continued. She hadn't expected it to be this easy, but then again, she wasn't surprised at his insight. A small smile flitted across her face as she wondered if she could ever get enough of his sudden (and very thorough) thoughts.

"Do you still share that sentiment?" Tech inquired, assuming the slight head tilt that she had come to adore so dearly.

Vel gripped the railing, trying to keep her composure as her heart thrilled. She had been hoping for this for months... much longer if she were truly honest. "I do," she responded, expecting to see the hint of a smile on his face. But she was met with a frown, which threw her off for a moment.

"I surmised as much," Tech said, eyes dropping, "However, I must admit, no matter the amount of information I consume on that topic, I am finding myself thoroughly unequipped to navigate it successfully. I apologize, if you have been unsatisfied with our progress in that area."

Vel's smile grew wider, and she reached up to touch him again, tracing the side of his cheek down to the tip of his chin before dropping her hand to his chest plate. The vulnerability in both his words and his earnest expression melted her inside, and she tried to commit every detail to memory. Searching for the response that could convey the magnitude of her feelings, she sighed contentedly as the perfect words seemed to come to her effortlessly: "I assume you are familiar with the various methods of literary narration?"

Tech's head jerked up quickly as he observed her, taken aback by such a refreshingly accurate statement from someone else for once. "Of course," he responded, "But there is such a wide array that I must request further specificity."

Vel's heart swelled in her chest as she continued, "You might find it easier to adopt a 'show me' instead of a 'tell me' technique in this particular aspect between us." She found herself wanting to explain more, but she knew he would understand completely and would appreciate her assuming his comprehension. So she remained silent, one hand on his chest, the other on the railing.

After a moment of consideration, the pieces fell into place in Tech's mind, and without any verbal response, he turned to carefully place his helmet on a nearby bench before squaring himself in front of her. He looked deeply into her eyes, an intent focus on his face that sent a thrill down her spine, and raised his hands to cup her face. His gloves on her cheeks were gentle yet firm, ghosting a thumb across them as he regarded her fondly. She placed a hand on his hip, yearning to pull him to her but enraptured by the intensity in his honey brown eyes.

"I believe you are right," he said, tilting his head to achieve the optimal angle. Vel flushed with heat and excitement as he leaned forward to bring mouth lips to hers. She closed her eyes, reaching over his shoulders and nestling her torso against his, feeling every fiber of her being come alive. His lips were indescribably soft, pressed into hers with calculated tenderness that hinted at a greater fervor simmering under the surface, and he lingered for a while before pulling away for a shaky breath.

Tech's heart was beating hard, and he simultaneously sought to organize the thoughts and sensations and interpretations that were flooding his mind while also fighting to remain fully in the moment. He swallowed, observing her face for any and all feedback, and was met with glowing bliss as she slowly opened her eyes.

"I think you're onto something," Vel said playfully, cheeks curving into a smile.

"It would seem so," Tech responded, lowering his hands from her face. That husky tone was back, sending a wave of tingles through Vel as he wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her close against him, and lifted the other to caress her hair away from her forehead. His sparkling gaze dropped to her mouth again, and he cupped her head with more confidence as he kissed her again. She pressed herself against his armor, arms around his torso, melting and exploding at the same time.

After a long moment, they separated, and he rested his forehead against hers, taking a deep breath. There were no words for once, from either of them, and they simply soaked up the twilight glow and the deep, satisfying connection of the spark between them.

* * *