17. Undermined

When Vel returned from the refresher, there was no sign of Jouren Terrik. Stifling an immediate desire to panic, she looked to the bar. All four of her team were gone as well. Had something happened? She started rummaging in her purse for the comlink "for emergencies only", as Hunter had emphasized, when a hand gently touched her elbow.

"Come, follow me," Hunter said politely, gesturing down the hall to another expansive room filled with people and music. Feeling relieved, she nodded and fell into step next to him. She was starting to feel a little tingly in the head and realized her extra little "nip of courage" from her flask while she was in the refresher might not have been the best idea. They entered a high-ceilinged ballroom where some sort of fancy promenade was beginning. She spotted the rest of the boys in a corner, lounging on plush couches and chairs around a table near a fireplace, and she noticed Terrik on the other side, dancing with another woman.

"Noooo, Hunter," she whispered, as he guided her toward the floor, "This is not going to help our cause." She felt the panic rising again, and it took all her strength to keep up her airy persona, as though nothing in the world could impress her.

"Don't worry," Hunter said under his breath, turning her to face him and making a small bow, "It's a simple dance made by rich people who want an excuse to show off to each other. Tech made us learn it in our room earlier after he studied Terrik's usual habits around here."

He held up one hand, which she took promptly, and he carefully placed the other in the center of her back. He held his elbows up, providing a solid frame from which he could guide her in a way that made them both look effortless.

"Step back twice, feet together, right twice, together, turn, and then go back," he said, stepping toward her and using his arms to gently steer her along. She fought to keep her steps smooth, at first trying to count in her head, but she soon found that he led her in a way that made it easy. Resting her hand on his shoulder and her arm on top the one he had tucked around her, Vel started to relax a bit. 

"Nice. Now just try to turn on the charm," Hunter said, giving her a little wink. "Take a page out of Crosshair's book."

Vel laughed, "Now that's a sentence I never thought I'd hear."

She did her best to put forth an image as though she were merely gracing the place with her presence, that nothing and no one could possibly impress her. Hunter assumed a modestly interested demeanor, although his flirting was rather dry and strategic. They had stepped and turned around the room a few times when Wrecker appeared at their side, having ditched his glasses and mustache.

"May I cut in for this fine little lady here?" he asked Hunter, loudly enough to be heard by virtually everyone. Terrik noticed the exchange, quickly bowing to his Twi'lek partner and kissing her hand before reaching out to a woman with a tall red headdress for the next dance.

"I suppose," Hunter replied, trying to model a normal speaking volume for Wrecker. He gave Vel a small bow, then retreated to the sofa where Tech and Crosshair remained.

Wrecker stood before her, having rolled up his sleeves. His shirt looked as if it were hanging on by a thread as he lifted his arms, which she took carefully, and they began their promenade. He trundled about silently, eyebrows furrowed and eyes on his feet. She could hear him muttering under his breath, "back, two three, together, side, two, three..."

As he turned her, it took all Vel had to suppress a full laugh. "Are all your pockets full of grenades?" she whispered, checking that Terrik was on the other side of the room.

"Don't leave home without em," Wrecker replied, giving her an extra spin before lumbering off on the next step. Vel laughed, feeling warm and fuzzy and dizzy and elated, and it definitely had nothing to do with the multiple swigs of alcohol she'd consumed so far... Now this was seeming more like the kind of mission she could get on board with.