Chapter 7

My nerves were on edge for the rest of the week, and it took all my self-control to not lash out at my mother, Tim, or all of the teachers. I wanted to yell. I wanted to scream. I wanted to tell all the other students what was happening. But that wasn't the plan. Honestly, if I didn't have Zero to look forward to every afternoon, I don't think I could have made it up to Friday morning.

I'd planned ahead, during the week, by packing what I thought I'd need in plastic shopping bags since I had no suitcase of any kind. I took all my jeans and warm socks, all the toiletries I could fit, and the same warm pajamas that I'd been wearing the night that Zero had visited me at the window. Oh, and I might have packed a few things that took a little bit of searching. Luckily, with Blair working, yeah she wasn't mom any more, I had time to do that. In the garage I was able to find the pair of pruning clippers that I helped tend the garden with, a pair of scissors and some spare zip ties that we'd used to pin the tomato plants to their stakes in the summer. I had no idea what Zero needed them for, but I knew I could wrap them all up in sweatpants and make them disappear while I carried them.

On Friday morning, I took the bags out from under the bed where I'd hidden them and brought them downstairs, sitting them by the front door before I went to start breakfast. I took my time, not worrying about Tim. There had been several mornings in the past that I'd been running late when Tim got there, and he would just come in when I didn't go out to meet him. Perfect.

By the time I was done cooking some over easy eggs and toast, Blair had wandered into the kitchen, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as she made herself some coffee. She sat at the table next to me with a yawn, while I dipped my toast in the runny yolks. "Good morning."

"Morning," I replied flatly.

She looked at me oddly, then shrugged and went back to her coffee. I finished quickly, then rinsed off the plate and ran upstairs. I brushed my teeth then put my toothpaste and toothbrush in a little sandwich bag, then went downstairs. I don't think Blair even noticed the bags by the front door until I bent down to tuck the toothbrush into one of them as Tim was coming in the front door.

"Good morning!" he said cheerfully, just as Blair was standing up in shock.

"What are those?" she asked, pointing at the bags.

I turned and looked her right in the eyes. "That is my stuff. I think I want to stay in the school with the rest of the clones." I had the satisfaction of seeing her eyes widen before continuing. "Is that going to be a problem?"

There was a lot of silence as Tim and Blair exchanged glances, then looked back at me. With nothing happening, I put on my coat, slipped on my boots, and then picked up the bags. "I'll be in the car."

"Wait!" Blair cried, rushing over to me. "I do love you. You don't have to do this!"

I turned back, trying not to scream. "You've lied to me my whole life. There was never a plan to get me to college without marrying Tim, your nephew, who I was evidently bought for. There was no college fund, no tax assessment. The internet wasn't to keep us safe, but to prevent us from finding out the truth. The school isn't to protect the clones, it's to keep them prisoners for the people who paid for them. This whole situation is disgusting, and I want nothing to do with it or either of you. I would rather live homeless than spend another day in this house, but I'll voluntarily go to stay in the school in the meantime. Can you please call them and make sure they have a room for me?"

She was sniffling as she nodded, and had tears in her eyes, but I really didn't have much pity at the moment. How could I trust that this wasn't yet another act, another lie? I looked over at Tim, but he was just staring at the floor. What could he say? He had to know now that there was no chance of me marrying him, not that there was before.