14

Finally, the Jupiter 2 sailed towards the Resolute after the worst experience in Shadow's life.

Don't get me wrong, getting chased by robots is terrible, but seeing three other Jupiters fall out of the air? Worse.

But there were some things that were for the better. Scarecrow was (somewhat) safe, and many colonists were reunited with their children after half a year's time.

Shadow padded out of the decontamination area and spotted the rest of the Robinsons, bounding towards them.

Penny, Judy and Maureen embraced Will, and Judy shoved Shadow into the group hug.

"You're okay," breathed Maureen. "Isn't Adler with you?"

"He got caught in the lightning," murmured Will thickly. Shadow bowed her head.

Robot came slowly towards them, a little shaky but otherwise okay. John gently patted his arm.

Will gasped.

"Hey!" he chuckled, running towards Robot. He gently embraced him and Robot winced. "Ow-"

"He wouldn't leave without ya," said John.

"We did what you asked," said Will, looking up at Robot. "Scarecrow made it to the ring in time, but I don't know what happened, and now there's an army of them headed this way," he added.

Shadow gave Robot a little bow. "Sir."

"Please, just Robot," whirred Robot, straining.

Victor's voice suddenly came from behind them.

"Maureen! John. We need to get away from here as fast as possible," he said, shaking hands with Maureen.

"Yeah, I think the only reason we made it out is because we're not the thing they want."

"They want their engine."

"Well, maybe it's time we finally used it for what's it's for," said Maureen. "Please take us to Alpha Centauri," said Maureen, turning to Robot.

"No."

"It's a new word," explained Will awkwardly. "I think he just likes saying it."

"Danger."

"Or not," said Shadow.

"Wait, why would taking us to Alpha Centauri be dangerous?" asked Judy quietly.

"Once the alien engine's activated, how long does the hole in space open for?" asked John.

"I-I don't know," said Maureen.

"Long enough for the robots to follow us through the Rift?"

"Maureen, we can't lead those things to the colony," said Victor stiffly.

"No, we have to end this here," she replied.

"How'd we do that?"

"We let the robots board the ship."

__________

Shadow screwed a row of EMF devices onto the wall. Robot and Will walked up with the engine, surveying the work. People chattered all around Shadow, and she spun around to take a look at the progress.

"Here comes the bait," said John.

"Okay, let's keep the hallways cleared!" called Maureen. "As long as nobody's in their way, nobody's gonna get hurt! These things are singularly focused, they're gonna come right here for this engine, once they get in this room-"