9

Shadow grunted, pulling off her helmet.

"Okay, so what now?" asked Judy.

"Nothing's changed, we stick to the plan," said Maureen.

"Oh, so getting stuck at the edge of a massive alien waterfall was... part of the plan?" asked Penny.

"The lightning storm should be starting in 97 minutes, give or take. We need to be ready to spark the engines when that happens," said Maureen matter-of-factly.

"So does everybody remember their assignments?"

Shadow nodded firmly. Her job: Get the wires, connect the engine to the kite and go. No exceptions.

"Siphon methane from the air and fill up our tanks," reported Will.

"Yeah, I got the sails," said Judy breathlessly.

"Wires. Connect the engine and set up the conductor," said Shadow sharply.

"We'll break down the mast and stow the rigging below," said John.

"Leave the lines for me. If we're gonna catch the power from the storm, I need every inch I can get for the kite," said Maureen. "Don!"

"Present."

"You know what you're doing?"

"Yes. It just sounds cooler when you say it," he said. "Smooth," muttered Shadow under her breath.

"Penny. Just make sure Don has everything he needs to clear us for launch," sighed Maureen.

"Are we not gonna talk about it?" snapped Will suddenly.

"What?"

"The giant metal trench in the middle of the planet," said Will. "Something like that doesn't just happen. Someone built it. Don't you wanna know who?"

"Of course I do, but right now we need to focus on the fact that 16 billion joules of energy are about to strike right where we're standing," said Maureen urgently.

Penny instantly raised her hand. "All in favour to find a new place to stand!" Don and Shadow quietly raised their hands.

"As long as we stay inside the Jupiter, we'll be fine," reassured Maureen. "The ship will act as a Faraday cage, sending the energy around us... instead of through us."

Will looked down, disappointed. "Hey," said Maureen, nudging him.

We'll look into what's down there. Soon as we're airborne," she said softly.

"Excuse me," whispered Smith. "I didn't get a job."

"Your job is to do nothing. And touch nothing," said Maureen firmly. "If we ever need to sail again, we'll call you. All right, let's get to it," said Maureen, giving everyone a clap.

"She never likes it when someone else saves the day," drawled Smith with a smirk.

_________

Shadow clambered into the garage, searching for the wire. She stepped over some of Captain's (now dried) remains, the globs of orange jewels glistening on the floor. Shadow bent to pick one up, turning the round, droplet-like stone. She wondered what it was made of. Shadow dropped the little jewel into one of her pockets and swept the rest onto the palm of her hand, shining like fiery stars. "Huh," she muttered, stowing away her little find.

_________

John's frantic voice came over comms. "Will, Shad, Judy! Get down to the airlock!"

"What's wrong?" piped Shadow, sprinting to the airlock.