Part 14: Another One Bites the Dust

Start from the beginning

She spent her day lounging in the sun, periodically wading into the water to cool off.

As she floated in the slow moving water she felt like she was back home. She wished with all of her heart that she was.

But when she opened her eyes, her bloody spear was still laying on the shore.

She took it into her hands. The once bright red blood had dried into a dark stain.

She dunked it under the water and scrubbed away the blood of her victims.

The last piece of them left in the arena was the blood on her spear and now it was gone. She wondered what the boy from the cornucopia's name was.

With her freshly cleaned spear she caught a few fish and wandered back into the quiet woods. She couldn't help but wonder where everyone else was as she found a place to camp.

Eve didn't bother to build a pit for her fire. The careers would be too busy fighting off their nightmares to come after her.

She didn't bother moving way from the fire to sleep as goosebumps prickled over her bare arms. Her full belly and the warm embers pulled her to sleep.

*** *** ***

Eve's eyes shot open when she heard distant voices. Her hand clenched against her spear and she quietly pushed herself to her feet.

The crunching of leaves grew closer and closer and without a moment to spare Eve scaled the tree behind her.

"Hold up." Cato said, noticing the fire Eve quickly snuffed out.

Marvel placed his hand over the coals. "It's still warm."

"They must have ran when they heard us coming." Clove said.

"Who's all left anyway?" Marvel asked lazily.

"The two from 12 and 11, the boys from 10 and 3, that Foxface girl, and the bitch from 4." Clove said.

Eve rolled her eyes but kept her mouth shut. She wished the girl was still paralyzed on the lakeshore.

"Let's go find the owner of this campsite." Cato's deep voice was thick with bloodlust.

Watching his muscles ripple and the sword flash in his hand gave her goosebumps.

She wanted to go home. She wanted to get the hell out of there and never look back.

She held her knees tight to her chest as the group disappeared into the woods.

She didn't venture out of the tree until the sun had broken the horizon.

She walked with vigor through the morning air with the threat of the careers weighing on her shoulders.

What she wasn't expecting was to walk straight into the path of another tribute.

She recognized that he was from District 10 by his caramel skin and jet black hair.

He smiled, thinking he had just found an easy target.

"Sorry it has to end like this for ya." He drawled, tossing his bag to the side as he pulled a machete from his belt.

Eve's eyes were locked on the boy, watching his every move. "Pick up your bag and move on."

"Will do." He laughed. "Once you're dead."

Eve adjusted her grip on the metal spear in her hand.

"Don't worry." He drawled. "I'll kill you fast."

Eve's blood ran hot in her veins. He thought this was a game. That her life was nothing but an obstacle in his journey for the crown.

She didn't throw her spear in fear he might duck out of the way, instead beckoning him forward. "Come on then."