Part 11: Helpless

Start from the beginning

"She got a 12 you idiot." The disdain in Clove's voice was so thick Eve was sure she could drive her spear straight through it. "Of course she can win."

"Which is why we need to find her." Cato said.

"Let's fan out." Marvel said.

"Clove you go with him." Cato said firmly. "And keep an eye on loverboy."

Eve's relieved sigh was hidden by the blowing leaves and she relaxed against the trunk behind her.

"Hold up a second." Glimmer said, grabbing a hold of Cato's arm.

Eve peered down the tree at the two remaining careers.

"What's the rush?" She hummed, running her hands over his chest.

Eve felt her face flush.

"We need to find her." His voice was far off as his eyes drifted over his surroundings.

"She can wait." She purred, pushing her chest against his.

"I'm not letting anyone else get the honor of killing a 12." He said. "She's mine."

"I'm yours." She said, rubbing her hand up to his neck.

Cato's hands moved to her hips as he pulled her closer. "Damn right."

Eve wasn't sure why she felt her blood rush fast in her veins and her grip tighten on her spear. All she knew was that she wanted to kill them both.

She watched Glimmer connect her lips with Cato's and the sound alone made Eve want to nose dive into the ground.

Cato had never kissed Eve and somehow she felt incredibly insecure. Was she not good enough? Were his lips reserved for those he cared about?

"Let's make this fast." He said, pushing her down to her knees.

"Oh god." Eve whispered.

When Glimmer's fingers started to fiddle with the buckle of his pants Eve shoved her hand into her bag.

They wrapped around a knife and she threw it out into the woods. She didn't care if she might need it later. All she cared about was getting them away.

It made a ruckus as it crashed through the brush, getting both careers' attention.

"Be quiet." Cato hissed, brushing past Glimmer as she kneeled in front of him. "That might be her."

He quickly refastened his belt and grabbed his sword.

"But-"

"We'll finish this later." He said, charging off into the woods.

Eve relaxed in her hiding spot as she listened to Glimmer huff below her.

"Cato wait!" She called out. "Look."

Eve's heart dropped and her eyes squeezed shut. They found her.

"Foooxfaceeee." Glimmer sung into the quiet night.

Eve felt worse than before as she realized who had been found.  "Finch."

Cato was back below the tree in seconds, laughing with his partner. "Look at her run."

They took off after her and without thinking Eve jumped down from her tree. She fell hard but didn't care as she ran after them.