Chapter 4: The Trouble Begins

Start from the beginning

"We'll camp here for the night. Fíli, Kíli, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them," Thorin orders.

Nearby Gandalf examines the farmhouse, Nyx following after him. "A farmer and his family used to live here," he mutters, glancing over at her. Both understand the potentiality of a threat and she nods in agreement to try and dissuade Thorin.

"Òin, Glóin, get a fire going," she hears Thorin say, and she and Gandalf turn to him.

"I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the hidden valley," Gandalf says to him. Nyx gives a small nod. She doesn't believe Thorin will go anywhere near Rivendell, but they certainly can't stay here. Some of the marks near the house do not look good for them.

Thorin walks right past them, "I've told you already, I will not go near that place."

"Why not?" presses Gandalf, following the king. Nyx hangs back, knowing her word is nothing in the eyes of the dwarf. "The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice."

Thorin turns to face them, "I do not need their advice," he snaps.

"Since you will not allow Nyx to read the map, we cannot read the map at all. Lord Elrond could help us," Gandalf persisted, briefly gesturing to her. She gives a small nod upon seeing the dwarf glance towards her.

Thorin's hand drifts to the hilt of his sword. "Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the elves looked on and did nothing! You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather, who betrayed my father?"

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold onto the past," retorts Gandalf. Nyx stays back, knowing any words from her mouth would be like razors, swift and cutting. Right now those are not the words that are needed.

"I did not know they were yours to keep," snaps Thorin, his anger clear. Gandalf just shakes his head and storms off, deciding the argument is not worth his words.

Bilbo, noticing the argument, races after the wizard. "Everything alright? Where are you going, Gandalf?"

"To seek the company of one of the only ones around here who's got any sense," grumbles the wizard, not slowing in his swift pace.

The hobbit stumbles after him, "Who's that?"

"Myself, Mister Baggins! I've had quite enough of dwarves for one day!"

Nyx lays a hand on Bilbo's shoulder before turning to Thorin. "The actions of Thranduil and of those of Mirkwood does not spread to others of my same race. Regardless, I must say sorry on behalf of my kin for the wrongs they have done."

Thorin stares at her for a long moment. "Were you there the day the dragon attacked? Do you know anything of the destruction Smaug wrought?"

Her eyes narrow. "I may not have been there the day of the burning but I know much about dragon fire." Upon seeing the disbelieving look on his face, she bends down so her face is closer to his. Her voice is low and deadly. "I have seen dragons plunder cities and raze armies. I have seen them kill and kill and kill."

With that she turns from him, trying to ignore the growing anger in her gut. She has nothing against the dwarves but yet she must pay the price for those who do. And to be mistaken as a naive warrior with no understanding of death or destruction? She slows, eyes burning into the ground. Images of years gone by flash before her eyes, burning cities and bodies laying all around her. So many dead. Bile rises in her throat before she shakes herself, trying to calm down.