067. the road home

"What's going on?" Blake asks when Hotch walks out of office.

"We've got a possible spree killer in Cleveland." He says.

"Details are sketchy, but 90 minutes ago a man shot and killed two gang members at a park on the outskirts of the city." Penelope says, handing them papers.

"Why are we thinking spree? I mean, gang members shoot each other all the time." Spencer says.

"Because a third gang member fled the scene, the shooter hunted him down at a gas station over a mile away to finish the job." Penelope says.

"Not your typical M.O. for a gang shooting." Hotch says.

"Oh, and there's more. Uh, after the third gang member was killed, a fourth person was shot and killed at a bus stop less than half a mile away from the gas station." Penelope says.

"Also gang related?" JJ asks.

"I don't know. Details still coming in." Penelope says.

"4 homicides, 3 locations, all within 90 minutes." Spencer says.

"We need to hurry. Wheels up in 15." Hotch says.

"I'll let Morgan know." Penelope rushes off.

+++

Blake and Madelyn walk over to where Spencer, Hotch, and Derek are.

"The man who asked which way the purse-snatcher went matches the description of the unsub." Hotch says.

"How did it go at the gas station?" Spencer asks the two women.

"Maybe it's just me, but if I saw a person gunned down and run over by a car a half a dozen times, I'd remember it." Blake says.

"Yeah." Madelyn nods in agreement.

"Let me guess -- witnesses are drawing a blank." Derek says.

""It all happened so fast."" Madelyn quotes.

"No surveillance cameras at the gas station either." Blake says.

"It's a high crime area and the victims were criminals. The neighborhood could be looking at this as a problem solved." Spencer says.

"There's been another shooting." A cop informs.

+++

"My ex grabbed my throat, and the next thing I know, this guy was in the yard and he shot Terry and he took off." Madison tells Blake and Madelyn as Spencer walks over.

"Can you describe the other guy?" Blake asks.

"No. Everything happened so fast." She says.

"Coins were found scattered all around the area, like somebody emptied out their pockets?" Spencer recalls.

"I didn't notice." She shrugs.

"So when we analyze the coins, we won't find trace evidence of you or your ex on them -- no fingerprints--"

"Okay." Madison cuts Madelyn off. "Yeah, I think Terry may have thrown some coins at the guy."

"Well, when we get back to the station, you can help the police artist render a likeness." Blake says.

"No." Madison denies. 

"Excuse me?" Blake asks.

"You have no idea what it's been like. The past two years I wake up every morning scared to death. Terry was crazy violent and nobody would do a single thing about it." Madison says.

"He was issued a restraining order." Blake says.

"Oh, yeah. You saw how restrained he was." Madison remarks. "You want to see what he did once?" She pulls her turtleneck down to reveal a scar on her neck. "I was cooking dinner, he got mad and threw scalding oil at me."