066. the black queen

"So, let's talk about sexual harassment." Madelyn and Spencer are leaning against the end of a desk. "Sexual harassment isn't always a quid pro quo arrangement. Maybe it's a conversation between two co-workers that makes you feel uncomfortable."

"Maybe these co-workers use phrases like..." She hits a button on the remote, words showing on the screen. ""Baby girl."" Madelyn presses her lips together, looking over at Penelope and Derek. ""Chocolate Thunder."" Madelyn chokes on a laugh, quickly covering it up with a cough.

"Or... "where's my big black twelve-pack?""

"Who blabbed?" Penelope whispers to Derek.

"And that creates what? A hostile work environment. So messages like, "More cushion for the pushing"... not appropriate. "I'll be Coco to your Ice-T." Not appropriate. "Flarpy Blunderguff."" Madelyn's eyebrows furrow. "I don't even know what that means, but not appropriate."

"What is that?" Spencer whispers.

"I don't-- I don't know." Madelyn whispers. "Knowing Penny we-- we may not wanna know." She adds.

"Miss Garcia, you really have to stay for this." The woman says as Penelope gets up.

"I'm sorry, but I got--" She holds her phone up. "I-- I have to-- I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so-- I'm so, so sorry." She says as she walks out.

"Not appropriate." The woman says, pointing towards Penelope.

A small giggle escapes Madelyn, but she quickly coughs. Spencer's lips twitch up at her, but he's better at hiding his amusement. He rubs his nose, quietly clearing his throat before he breaks.

+++

"In 2004, the BAU flew to San Jose for two reasons." Hotch says. "One was to recruit Garcia. The other was to arrest this man, Sam Russell."

"The Prostitute Killer." JJ says.

"8 victims. He didn't fit the profile exactly, but he waved his rights and admitted to all 8." Spencer says.

"Isn't San Quentin putting him to death in two weeks?" Derek asks.

"Yes, and we've been tasked to review his conviction." Hotch says.

"Why us?" Rossi asks.

"Garcia?" Hotch hands her the remote.

"Okay." She stands up. "Uh, this morning, the Justice Department website was hacked. When you log on, you see this and then this." The screen shows the photos of the eight victims and then Sam Russell. "Innocent" is written over Sam Russell's photo and "They died in vein" is between the pictures of the women.

"Are these crime scene photos of the victims?" JJ asks.

"The San Jose police department was also hacked." Hotch says. "Garcia says this must have been months in the planning."

"Any idea who's behind it?" Rossi asks.

"Best guess is it's an online collective known as Star Chamber." Penelope says. "They're one of several justice oriented groups that sprung up in the wake of the Steubenville rape case."

"Star Chamber. Interesting name." Blake notes.

"It's derived from a 17th century British court designed to ensure fair enforcement of laws against the rich and the powerful." Spencer says.

"Actually, according to my research, they named it that because it's also the name of a mediocre yet awesome Michael Douglas movie from 1983." Penelope says.

"Okay, but why Sam Russell? He confessed without any coercion." Derek says.

"Because in addition to being a monster, Sam Russell is a hacker extraordinaire." Penelope says. "I don't know the man, but I learned from him."