Part 12: Safe

(Drumstick P.O.V)

As I raced through the flames, the heat of the flames hit my face as I jumped over broken objects, squeezed under burned-out doors, and slid with each turn. Drumstick was assigned a task to retrieve a hatchet from the janitor's closet and bring it back to Scientist. Given that she was formed primarily of fire, the water's impact on her back and the soaking of her feathers must have hurt a little. She appeared out of nowhere in front of the  janitor closet door, piles of rubbish blocked it off. Her eyes darted around rapidly before she noticed. The closet was accessible through a vent. She leaped onto a crumpled wheelchair to gain just the right amount of height to reach the vent.

She found herself in the room; it appeared to be melted. She could feel the fire's heat in her claws. All of it had melted. Everything was on the floor and in a wreck in the room. She looked around the room and discovered a crowbar—not a hatchet, but still helpful. She believed she was lucky—at least it was something. But upon further examination, it was broken. ####

When she heard something, firefighters at last. As she was about to go see them, she paused. They would murder her if she went to go see them. More often than not, fire roosters (or hens) are more associated with the zombies. They would likely believe she is evil. Think..second pass. Too much fire would prevent the rescue workers from reaching Scientist in time. She would have to risk things. When she left the room, she saw a firefighter. Before she realized more were arriving, he phoned for backup after noticing her. She rushed up to one and gave them the hardest bite she could manage, making sure to rip right through the suit but not so hard as to unintentionally kill him.

They kicked her, causing the burning wall to fall on her as she rolled into it. She swiftly rose to her feet with a limp. Two of them are instructed by a firefighter to go catch the hen. She began to run, occasionally checking to see if they were still behind her. The ceiling suddenly collapsed, blocking her path to Scientist and Chomper as she could sense herself getting closer. The firemen caught her as she ran straight into the wall. Her wings flocked as she squirmed. So near yet so far off. When one of the firefighters glanced at her, he or she noticed something strange. She was simultaneously pleading with her eyes and looking back, both with her gaze. Like she was attempting to communicate with them in some way.

The firefighter finally understood it at that point. He halted his team mate. After some discussion, they instructed her to "Lead the way," before letting her go. Now that the firefighters were on her side, they searched for a different route and found one that took them directly to Scientist and Chomper, where they were discovered unconscious. Everything else was a blur. 

Nurses came running to aid Scientist and Chomper once they were outside. A police officer is keeping onlookers away from the structure. Witnesses reporting the incident. They had to send the poor hen for inspection because they weren't sure if it was safe or dangerous. The bird had vanished by the time a policeman arrived to check on it. Where she went was unknown.

The hen hid. Even she didn't know where she was. She took a moment to relax, closing her eyes as she briefly thought before falling asleep.

Whether she was injured or worn out had no effect.

The fact that Scientist and Chomper were now safe was important.

And the fowl thought the most of that.

She was the reason they were found, after all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------