"I cannot believe that. I will not forsake all I have honoured and worked for and betray the Republic. I know of your treaties with the Trade Federation, the Commerce Guilds, and the others, Count. What is happening here is not government that has been bought out by business... it's business becoming government!"

"Are you willing to betray your Jedi friends? Without your co-operation I can do nothing to stop their execution." Dooku stated.

"What is to happen to me? Am I to be executed also?" asked Padmé.

"I wouldn't think of such an offence. But...there are individuals who have a strong interest in your demise, M'lady. It has nothing to do with politics, I'm afraid. It's purely personal, and they have already paid great sums to have you assassinated. I'm sure they will push hard to have you included in the executions. I'm sorry but if you are not going to co-operate, I must turn you over to the Geonosians for justice. I've done all I can for you." concluded Dooku.

Jango Fett moved over to the twins.

"I'll take these weapons." Jango Fett said.

They hesitated.

"You may cause a lot of bloodshed, my young Jedi, but you will not escape."

"Anakin... Mary..." Padmé said.

They handed their lightsabers over to Jango Fett.

Four guards took hold of them. They were escorted out of the chamber to the sounds of chuckling.

☾☼

In the gloomy tunnel, Anakin and Padmé were tossed into an open cart.

Mary was in the cart behind them. The murmur of a vast crowd was heard offscreen. Guards extended their arms along the framework and tied them so that they stood facing each other.

The driver got up onto his seat.

"Don't be afraid."

"I'm not afraid to die. I've been dying a little bit each day since you came back into my life."

"What are you talking about?"

"I love you."

"You love me?! I thought we decided not to fall in love. That we would be forced to live a lie. That it would destroy our lives..."

"I think our lives are about to be destroyed anyway. My love for you is a puzzle, Ani, for which I have no answers. I can't control it... and now I don't care. I truly, deeply love you, and before we die, I want you to know."

Padmé leaned toward Anakin. By straining hard, it was just possible for their lips to meet. They kissed.

"Finally!! It took you a long time!!" exclaimed Mary.

They laughed.

"I have no desire to be cured of this love either. Long or short, I vow to spend the rest of my life with you." Anakin said to Padmé.

They kissed again.

The driver cracked his whip over the horray harnessed between the shafts. The cart jerked forward. Suddenly, there was a huge roar and blinding sunlight as they emerged into the arena.

The great stadium was packed with tier upon tier of yelling Geonosians. The cart trundled to the center, where Obi-Wan was chained to one of four upright posts that were three feet in diameter. The cart stopped. Padmé, Mary and Anakin were taken down, dragged to posts, and chained to them. Padmé was in the center.