Chapter 8

The Starfreighter landed in the giant port city of Theed

Padmé, Anakin, Mary and R2-D2 were among the emigrants streaming from the Starfreighter and into the vast docking area. They exited onto the main plaza.

The speeder bus pulled up and stopped. They got out. The great courtyard stretched out before them, and they saw the rose-colored dome of the palace on the far side. They picked up their gear and started to cross the courtyard. R2 trundled behind them. Anakin, Mary and Padmé walked toward the palace. R2 continued to follow.

Queen Jamillia was seated on the throne, flanked by Sio Bibble and a couple of advisors. Four handmaidens stood close by, and guards were at the doors.

"We've been worried about you. I'm so glad you're safe, Padmé."

"Thank you, Your Highness. I only wish I could have served you better by staying on Coruscant for the vote."

"Given the circumstances, Senator, you know it was the only decision Her Highness could have made." Sio Bibble said.

"How many systems have joined Count Dooku and the separatists?" asked the Queen.

"About two hundred. And more are leaving the Republic every day. If the Senate votes to create an army, I'm sure it's going to push us into a civil war." replied Padmé.

"It's unthinkable! There hasn't been a full-scale war since the formation of the Republic!" added Sio Bibble.

"Do you see any way, through negotiations, to bring the separatists back into the Republic?" asked the Queen.

"Not if they feel threatened. The separatists don't have an army, but if they are provoked, they will move to defend themselves. I'm sure of that. And with no time or money to build an army, my guess is they will turn to the Commerce Guilds or the Trade Federation for help." Padmé replied.

"The armies of commerce! Why has nothing been done in the Senate to restrain them?" asked the Queen.

"I'm afraid that, despite the Chancellor's best efforts, there are still many bureaucrats, judges, and even Senators on the payrolls of the Guilds."

"It's outrageous! After all of those hearings, and the four trials in the Supreme Court, Nute Gunray is still the Viceroy of the Trade Federation. Do those money mongers control everything?" said Sio Bibble.

"Remember, Counsellor, the courts were able to reduce the Federation's armies. That's a move in the right direction."

"There are rumours, Your Highness, that the Federation Army was not reduced as they were ordered." said Padmé.

"The Jedi have not been allowed to investigate. It would be to be too dangerous for the economy, we were told." Anakin said.

"We must keep our faith in the Republic. The day we stop believing democracy can work is the day we lose it." the Queen stated.