Ch 9 : Dinner With A Bad Boy

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

this is referred to in notes as chapter 8.5

Dinner With A Bad Boy

I looked up at my parents, still not sure what these two were doing here. My mom had tears in the brim of her eyes, I chalked it up to her hormones from being pregnant. My dad looked confused. I was too; I'm used to Adam and Andy coming over for diner. But not when we're having other company over. Especially for such an important meal as tonight was. I had a horrible feeling in my gut that things were going to go awry but I didn't dare question it. We all sat there in silence for a long time. Me, not wanting to converse with Andy. Adam, probably still mad at me, and the rest of my family super confused and uncomfortable.

The doorbell rang, echoing through the lower level of the house. "Oh, thank god." I muttered, getting up and heading to the front door. I swung open the door, putting on my best hostess smile. "Welcome-" My eyes open from my large smile, and before me is the worst possible scenario. Worse than the one already unfolding inside. Brett. Like it was a reflex, my arm swings still holding onto the door and slamming it shut in his face.

I had a million questions running through my mind, all frantic and not quite formed. The largest of them, though, was "Why is Brett here and how the hell did he find out where I live?"

I heard another knock at the door, this one much more authoritative. I looked through the peephole. It was a man in a business suit, definitely my Mom's boss.

I politely opened the door again, repeating my smile, with a kind, "Hi, won't you come in?" As I moved aside. He gave me a skeptical look, "I don't know, can I? You slammed the door in my nephew's face a moment ago."

When what he had said registered in my brain, my face went white. I had just fucked up as much as I possibly could in a matter of seconds. I almost couldn't believe it. He must be joking, right? Or I hallucinated seeing Brett's face. There was no way this was my reality right now.

I heard a bit of laughter come from behind the man. I craned my neck and sure enough, there he was. Dressed to the nines in a tux, just like his uncle. I couldn't help but admire how good he looked. All guys looked good in a tux, after all. I quickly push those stupid thoughts away, and replace them with what an ass he is.

"I'm sure." I nod my head, smiling as I let him through. The man walks in and quickly turns to the kitchen. As Brett walked past me, he got really close. He smiled and looked down at me, which definitely gave me the creeps. "Guess I can't call you Racoon eyes tonight." I grimaced at him, taking a step away and pulling the door shut. I turned back to him as he was walking into the kitchen, grabbing his arm. I give him a serious look. "Listen, I know we don't like each other. But please please behave.. my Mom's job depends on this dinner going perfect. So please, just don't do anything jackass-ish."

He frowned as he again got close to me. Our bodies were almost pressed together. I looked up at him and he looked down at me, I gave him a pleading look. "One condition." He sighs out, trying his best to look disinterested. But it was clear from his eyes that he was enjoying this. I nodded my head in response seeing no other way to get him to cooperate with me. "You have to set that guy from the football team straight and..." I interrupt him. "No and's. You said one thing. Uno." I hold up my finger as an indicator that he'd already put in his request.