27. "I'm Proud Of You, Court."

Less than ten chapters left of this book!!!

Slight smut, sort of.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Gillian's POV

Courtney has barely touched, much less eaten her food.

She has been sort of off all day, like there is something bothering her.

Her sapphire-colored irises are cast down at her small cup of blueberry yogurt. Upon closer inspection I soon come to realize that there appears to be a far away look inside of said eyes.

Her manicured fingers are wrapped around the disposable plastic spoon that came with the yogurt. She uses said spoon to stir the yogurt absentmindedly.

Even her comebacks have been relatively lackluster all day.

"Who do I have to kill?" I decide to break my silence, balling up the wrapper that my sandwich came in.

This question forces Courtney to cease her stirring, her eyes flickering up to peer at me.

"What?" The question falls from her lips.

"Who do I have to kill?" I question a little slower this time.

I do not miss the way that Courtney furrows her eyebrows at my statement with confusion.

"Why would you need to kill someone?"

"Because if some asshole did something to make you so upset that you have been distracted all day, then they need to be dealt with."

A small smile makes its way onto the blonde's face.

"You look really hot right now, you know?"

I roll my eyes at her flirting.

"Who has you this upset, Courtney?"

The blonde is completely silent for a few moments before eventually answering.

"It's Nickelson University," she reveals.

"I sent in my application essay two months ago and I just got a response letter in the mail this morning. I've been carrying the letter around with me all day because I've been too scared to open it."

"Court, the worst that can happen is that you get rejected. It is truly not the end of the world." I somewhat try to calm her down.

Courtney gives me an incredulous facial expression.

"This is the only college that I applied for, Gillian! If I don't get in then I'll have to take a year off and we both know that only unmotivated losers take gap years."

"We do?" I furrow my eyebrows, beyond confused by the words that are leaving her mouth.

Courtney settles for just nodding her head.

"Okay, what if I open the letter for you?" I suggest.

The blonde ponders my question for a moment before nodding her head once again. I watch as she retrieves the large yellow envelope from her backpack, passing said envelope to me.

I accept the letter from her outstretched hand, holding it with two hands before beginning to open it. I handle the concealed letter with care, taking my time to open it because I like messing with the blonde.

Barely a minute passes before she snaps at me.

"Oh my god, Gillian! My grandmother moves faster than you and she's on life support." Courtney eventually snaps.