Chapter two

Y/N is sitting in the classroom slouched in her chair not really paying attention to Jester's lecture, Mav and Goose to her right and Ice and Slider sitting behind her.  Y/N's mind snapped back to reality when Jester says:

" I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you to our Commanding Officer at Top Gun, the very first man to win the Top Gun Trophy. You will not find a finer fighter pilot anywhere in the world, Commander Mike Metcalf, Callsign Viper."

" Gentleman, and lady," Viper said as he glanced at me. " You are the top 1% of all naval aviators, the elite, the best of the best, we'll make you better. Fly at least two combat missions a day, attend classes in between, and evaluations of your performance. Now in each combat sequence you're going to meet a different challenge. Every encounter is going to be much more difficult. We're going to teach you to fly the f-14 right to the edge of the envelope, faster than you've ever flown before, more dangerous. We don't make policy here gentlemen, selected officials, civilians do that. We are the instruments of that policy and though we're not at war, we must always act as though we are."

I look over to see Maverick glancing around the room and Goose asks him what he's doing.

" Just wondering, who's the best"

Y/N quietly chuckles when Viper answers

" In case some of you wonder, who the best is, there up here on this plaque on the wall. The best RIO and his driver from each class has his name on it, and they have the option to come back here to be Top Gun Instructors." Viper walks back to the front of the room standing in front of me. " Maybe this year we'll just have a driver's name." he says looking at me.

I hear Slider whisper to Ice " Yeah right" Ice grins.

" You think your names going to be on that plaque?" he asks me.

Y/N glances at Mav with a smirk then back to Viper, " Yes sir."

Viper goes on to discuss what exercise we were doing today. I already knew part of it. The class would be paired up and would dogfight against one of the instructors, Jester, Viper, or me. I'm not an instructor but for this exercise Jester and Viper both thought that me going against the other students would help them since I already caught both of them in a two on one exercise they had me do earlier. I just didn't know who I'd be facing. Viper reads off the pairs and I guess Viper caught Sliders remark earlier because I was placed with Both Ice and Mav.

" Now, go get suited up. Remember, there's no points for second place. Good luck." Viper glances at me again, " They'll need it." he says quietly but I still heard it. Y/N couldn't stop the grin on her face. 

Y/N gets up and stops to have a quick look at the plaque while listening to the conversation behind her.

" The plaque for the alternates is down in the ladies room." Ice says to Mav. Goose lets out a loud laugh, " Oh, you kill me, you really do." Y/N decides to have fun with Ice and turns to face the group of guys.

" He's right guys, there is an alternate plaque in there,  and It's going to have his name on it." I say as I step closer to him. Everyone laughs  and Maverick has a big grin on his face.

" Oh please, this exercise is a joke, we'll catch you in less than 30 seconds." Slider says with a huff.

" I only got paired with you because I already caught Jester and Viper in one go." she said with a smug look on her face. Everyone in the room was shocked when I said that not expecting me to be skilled enough to catch one of the instructors let alone both at once.

Y/N turns to walk out patting Goose on the shoulder, " Good luck boys." and heads to her jet.

                                                                  ' A dogfight against Maverick and Ice, let's have some fun.'