Part 6: Charmer

Mulai dari awal

She needed fresh air.

She rolled out of her silk sheets and stepped into the quiet hallway in her nightgown. It wasn't very late, but her team had retired early.

Eve pressed the button for the ground floor and padded in her socks towards the glass doors.

A peacekeeper rushed in front of her. "Where are you going?"

"Just on a walk." She said, looking past him at the busy street outside.

"No you're not." He said, ushering her towards the elevator. "You can go to the roof for that."

He pressed the button for her and she was quickly sent on her way.

There was a chill in the air on the huge roof, but she didn't turn back.

She walked through the large garden, listening to the fountains as they carried on into the night.

The lights of the city pulled her towards the railing. Her elbows rested on the cold metal as she looked out at the busy streets.

There were people dressed in more ridiculous outfits partying the night away. They were more than excited to watch her die in a few days.

"I didn't expect to find you here."

She jumped at the sound of Cato's voice behind her.

"You scared the shit out of me." She scolded.

She didn't understand how someone so big could make such little noise.

"Sorry." He smiled down at her as he rested his forearms on the railing.

When he was looking at her like that it wasn't hard to see why even TeeLee was swooned by him.

She had to look away when the tight feeling in her chest became unbearable. "What're you doing up here?"

"I needed to clear my head." He looked down at the crowds below and Eve wondered what could possibly be on his mind.

"You nervous for the evaluations tomorrow?" She teased.

"No." He laughed. "Clove was getting on my nerves."

"Shocker." One thing Eve could to be thankful for was getting a normal partner.

"What drove you up here?" He asked.

"I couldn't sleep." She mumbled, looking back out at the streets below.

"Maybe you need a change in scenery." He grinned. "Come back to my room and I'll get you nice and ready for bed."

She rolled her eyes. It never ended with him.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" He asked, watching her with sharp eyes.

She had to look away. "I guess."

"Just don't pick up a bow and you should be fine." He teased.

"Hey." She laughed, knocking her shoulder against his. "It was my first time."

He pushed her right back, leaving only inches between them. "It's okay. I've seen worse."

Even through his jacket he felt warm. She didn't particularly enjoy the feeling of her body fighting to get closer to him and she side stepped away.

The silence was thick and Eve couldn't take it.

"You know that trainer with the brown teeth?" She asked.

"Mhmm." Cato hummed, already knowing where she was going.

"Did you beat him up because..." she didn't know what she wanted to say. "You know."