This isn't the best area but it's home

Start from the beginning

The subs slotted perfectly into the game. They added into the combinations that built them all the way up the pitch. Triangle of play and tricksy balls through the defence went in wave after wave.

Evie was having hundreds of chances and opportunities but she couldn't quite get her moment. All her shots were going wide or at the keeper and despite the score it was frustrating.

"Keep your head. Your time will come," Lucy reassured her.

A beautiful Lucy cross was met by Alessia's head and then it was seven. Evie ran and leapt into Lucy's arms to celebrate with the team. Lucy held strong and cheered with pure elation, all of them enjoying the goals.

The rest of the game was the same. England dominating and Evie getting so frustratingly close.

"Ah for fuck's sake," she groaned as the ball flew just past the post. The others could tell just how frustrated she was getting with herself.

"Calm it," Millie said as she held the youngster's face gently in her hands, "You are playing so well. Don't let the fact you haven't got one get you down. You're giving us chances and playing incredibly well. Just take a breath and go again."

Evie did what she said and then she was back off. She may have been playing well but she still wanted to aid the teams goal scoring efforts.

10 minutes from the end and Keira launched a long range effort. The keeper fumbled it and Beth took this as an opportunity to tap it in. Evie was so pleased for her. She deserved the hattrick so much.

"MEADO!" Evie yelled as she ran to celebrate with her friend.

The team talk at the end of the game was good. Eight nil. Eight fucking nil.

Evie spotted Frida looking upset and she went over to chat with her.

"Alright?" Evie asked empathetically.

"I've been better. Doesn't help that you're so good," Frida replied, her face breaking into a smile. They had a chat before going their separate ways. Evie didn't really like playing against her club teammates but it had to be done.

All of them then went around clapping fans and trying to spot their families.

"Coops!" Evie cheered excitedly, running over and embracing the woman she cared so much about.

"Oh darling you have no idea how proud I am," she said, welling up and gripping the young girl tightly. They stayed for a moment before beginning to discuss anything and everything. It felt so good to see her.

Evie then went and found her brother and she spoke with them before Sweet Caroline was on and Jemma told her to go and celebrate with her friends.

They felt good, all of them bouncing along and having the absolute time of their lives. They'd been pleased to have won the other day but they weren't pleased with their overall performance. Today was very different.

"Sweet Caroline! Bom bom bom! Good times never seemed so good," Evie screamed loudly as her and Leah did a little dance duet.

The changing room was turned into a disco. The music on high and all of them dancing their way around the room.

They felt on top of the world and this was only a group game. Evie let her brain get away to what it would be like if they won the whole tournament but then she had to stop herself. That was a long time away. For now, she would enjoy the music and being here with her friends.

***

Training was intense and at times it got quite over whelming. A lot of the younger players were struggling with how challenging the major tournaments were and Sarina and all the more senior players were being extremely helpful.