3| Atsushi's First Job

"I am so sorry!" Tanizaki says at the table behind us.

Dazai, Kunikida, and I are sitting at the counter in the agency's favorite restaurant.

"Huh?" Atsushi says confused.

"Even though it was a test, I still feel horrible about it."

"No, it's fine," Atsushi says.

"What are you apologizing for? It's part of the job Tanizaki," Kunikida says.

"You also had to participate," Dazai says mockingly.

"Because you made me!"

"You lost a rock paper scissors."

"Anyways, ignore Dazai right now," I say. "Now that you are part of the Agency, you need to uphold its good reputation. Don't go around messing it up like Dazai."

"Hey!"

"Alright," Atsushi says.

"We will be watching over you," Kunikida says. "Right Dazai?"

"If I asked that waitress over there, 'Because I want to die, please strangle my neck," I wonder what she would say?"

"Kinky," I say. "Can't blame you though, Dazai."

Dazai laughs and Kunikida says, "Shut up! You two are always like this! Stop encouraging him Bellatrix!"

"Fine. Not again," I say noticing that Naomi is sticking her arm up Tanizaki's shirt.

"Uhh," Atsushi says confused.

"Just ignore it," Kunikida says.

"Okay. What did you guys do before joining the detective agency?"

"What do you think?" Dazai asks.

"This is what we do when we get a newcomer. They try to guess our previous profession," I say.

"Tanizaki and his sister are or were students," Atsushi says.

"That's right!" Tanizaki says.

"How did you know?" Naomi asks.

"Well, Naomi, you are wearing a uniform. And as for Tanizaki, he seems like he's around your age."

"What about Kunikida?" Dazai asks.

"Stop, don't bring that up."

"Government official?"

"What a pity. You got it wrong. Kunikida here was actually a math teacher," I say.

"Really?"

"It's in the past, I don't want to remember it."

"How about us then?" Dazai asks.

"It's no use kid," Kinikida says. "Their former occupations are still a mystery to those of us at the agency."

"Wasn't there a prize for the first person to guess correctly?" Tanizaki asks.

"Yes," I say. "Since no one has guessed it, the price has skyrocketed."

"I guessed that Dazai was a type of criminal, but he said I was wrong. Makes sense since criminals are hard-working. Dazai, hard-working? That'll never happen. I also guessed if Bellatrix was a doctor and she said she wasn't. It would make sense though since she knows so many medical procedures."

"I was never a doctor. It was my father who taught me all of it."

"So your father was a doctor?"

"Yes. We aren't close anymore. Anyways, I know you need money Atsushi."