"What will you do?" She questioned, having dropped her hands from the treasure.

Kili only stared at her from the golden stairs, a new sword hung over his hips, though his hand made no move to reach for it. He was clad in heavy dwarven armor, letting Raewyn know that Thorin was indeed preparing for war.

"I do not want to choose." He confessed through a whisper, looking behind him, silently wishing his brother had been beside him.

"You will have to." Raewyn pointed out, trying to adjust her tone to Kili's, even as she felt more anger than regret.

The dwarf frowned upon her speech, slowly making his way down the stairs as he unsheathed his sword. Staring down at it, he threw it down the treasure hoard, swallowing thickly.

"I want to be with you." He managed out, a defeated look on his face.

"But you cannot abandon your family." She understood, giving a short nod as she remained in her place.

"Thorin will throw me out when he finds out you left the mountain." Kili explained, now standing below the golden pile Raewyn was vacating.

"If." She countered, giving him a warning glance.

"When." He shot back, his voice steadfast and unwavering.

Observing his confident stance, the ranger sighed, dropping her shoulders.

"I cannot let you do that either."

"So what will we do?" Kili tried, making his way on top of the pile.

"I don't know." Raewyn mumbled, looking up at the ceiling.

"Neither do I," The dwarf admitted, his voice now closer. "And I am not here to tell you not to grab that gold, for I stand with you. You know this."

His hands carefully found hers, drawing her attention back to him. Looking anywhere but at him, Raewyn squeezed his hand three times, finally resting her eyes on a pillar in the distance.

"So what will you have me do?" Kili finished.

"I was going to leave eventually," The Asha confessed, letting her mind wander back to the burning lake they had faced days prior. "My quest ended when Smaug drew his last breath."

"Then why are you still here?" The prince voiced, even surprising himself with his question.

Feeling her heart leap into her throat, she blinked slowly, having expected this question since their first night in Erebor, yet still unprepared with her answer. In all honesty, she did not even know why she was still here. It was obvious Thorin wanted her gone, but she did not stick around to agitate him on his throne. Nor did she stay for Bilbo, which she might have expected herself to do.

"You know why." She ultimately answered, letting go of his hand as she took a step back.

"I do," He admitted, taking a step towards her. "But I need to hear you say it."

Loud footsteps were heard through the halls as both Kili and Raewyn's heads shot up at the sound.

"Raewyn!" A voice shouted, seeming out of breath, yet extremely recognizable to the pair. "Thorin sent Kili to-"

Bilbo ran into the treasure room, spotting the two upon a golden hill. He broke his sentence halfway, letting out a sigh of relief as he noticed Kili's sword missing.

"You did not think I was actually going to kill her?" The dwarf questioned, almost insulted.

"Kill me?" Raewyn repeated, genuinely surprised by the king's order.