Chapter XXIII

How I managed to sneak in more Bilbo and Raewyn moments even after they parted ways

Tw: I think Smaug is a valid warning. Bilbo is sacred and anxious and he misses his friend. Mentions of blood, poisoning and injury. Mention of fatigue thanks to poisoning. Description of battle, blood and injuries. Kili kinda snaps an orc's neck with his foot, oops. He also decapitates one, oops x2. Tauriel deserves more love.

———

———

"Hello?"

The hobbit walked down the stairs in a gigantic hall, filled with more gold than he had ever seen himself. Hills, nay, mountains of jewels and coins decored the floor, some piles racing the highest stairs. Not one piece of the cold stone floor below was seen. It was as yellow as his eyes ever perceived.

In hesitation, he knocked upon the wall, the sound echoing loudly throughout the room. In shock of the noise, Bilbo pressed himself against the wall, doing his best to remain hidden. However, the room remained quiet. Nothing moved nor was anything heard.

"You're not at home." He whispered relieved. "Not at home. Good. Good, good, good."

Carefully, he put his foot down on the gold, abandoning the staircase. The treasure below his feet clinking and moving with each and every movement. With squeezed eyes and a sharp inhale he continued walking.

"What's that?" He mumbled to himself, spotting a white gem on top of a golden pile.

Gently, he picked it up, inspecting it closely. Was this the Arkenstone Balin had told him about? It did not seem as impressive as was described.

With a frown, he decided that this was not the jewel he was set out to find. As if all reality of his surroundings slipped from him, he tossed the jewel away from him. The gem clatters against the gold, its noise ringing through the halls. Bilbo jumped at the sound, holding his finger in front of his mouth.

"Shush, shush." He silenced, freezing until the noise had stopped.

When it was quiet once more, he looked back around.

"Arkenstone, Arkenstone..." He mumbled. "A large, white jewel. Very helpful."

With reluctance, he climbed up a mountain of gold, running his hands through the treasure, trying to find the said gem. Bilbo could not help but wonder what would happen if Raewyn had been with him. She would have found it within a matter of seconds, no doubt. She seemed to always know where something was hiding, even as she did not know exactly what she was looking for, as he was at the moment. He had figured hide and seek with her would have been terrible as a child.

Thinking back at the last time he saw her, he could not help but feel new anxieties building up in his stomach. Not only was the possibility of encountering a real dragon very realistic, but his friend also looked miserable in Kili's arms hours prior. He did not know what was going on, but he dared to tell himself there was a true chance he might not see her again. And that feeling of overwhelming grief suddenly began to sink in, a heavy feeling entering his chest.