Suddenly, a pony passed her quickly, the rider muttering something close to "please, hide." She looked up to face him, but the dwarf had already moved. She didn't need to see his face in order to know it was Fili. His blond hair was quite difficult to not recognize.

"Why would I need to hide?" She mumbled to herself, wiping the strands of hair that had stuck to her face behind her ears.

"My fair maiden," someone suddenly spoke, as Raewyn shut her eyes tightly, her lips forming in a thin line. "'My fair maiden'?" The woman repeated, looking at the person - and pony - beside her.

"Well, you don't wish to be called 'my lady' so-" "Just Raewyn is fine." She quickly interrupted, holding her hand up. "What do you need?"

Kili coughed a little, but continued. "I was noticing how awful this downpour was and how awful it was to see you walking. Not that it wasn't awful to see you walking earlier, but right now the weather is so numb and...." He looked back at her face, but all she gave him was an almost mocking glance. "Right...how is this going?" He asked.

"Terrible."

"But....?" He continued, wondering if there was more.

"It's terrible." Raewyn clarified. The dwarf nodded and jumped down from his pony. He gestured towards the creature, making the woman frown. "Words are not my strongest point." Kili explained. "And actions are?" Raewyn joked.

"Clearer than speech. Get on the pony." He urged, pushing her towards the animal that had now stopped walking. The woman pushed his hands off quickly and shook her head.

"And let you walk?" She shot back.

"It's either you get on the pony or we both walk." The dwarf stated.

When he made it clear he wouldn't take no for an answer, Raewyn sighed and mounted the pony. "Well played, Kili." She said, taking a hold of the reins. When she nudged the pony to walk, Kili set his pace beside the two. A thought suddenly came into her mind as her eyes widened.

"You did this on purpose." The woman accused. "You're forcing me to spend the day with you. You knew that a ranger wouldn't run off with a given horse."

Kili shot a bright smile her way and nodded. "Even if you had refused, I would've walked nonetheless."

"Well played indeed, little goblin." Raewyn mumbled, gripping the reins of the pony tighter.

"I'll just propose it again tomorrow, now that I know it works." Kili revealed, smiling to himself as he walked beside Raewyn.

——

"We'll camp here for the night." Thorin decided when they passed, what appeared to be, a ruin of an old farmhouse. "Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them."

Gandalf looked around and frowned at the sight of the ruined house. "A farmer and his family used to live here." He spoke to no one in particular, but Raewyn and Bilbo had heard him.

"Oin, Gloin," the leader resumed. "get a fire going."

"Right, you are." Oin spoke back, gathering firewood with his brother.

"We cannot stay here." Raewyn mumbled, recognizing huge marks on the ground amongst the house.

"No, we cannot." Gandalf confirmed, walking up to Thorin. "I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the hidden valley." "I've told you already, I will not go near that place." The dwarf defended, crossing his arms tightly.

"Why not? The Elves could help us, we could get food, rest, advice." "I do not need their advice." Thorin argued, not turning back on his decision or opinion.