"Would you stop doing that?" Raewyn asked, letting out a quiet sigh.

"I called you three times already. It's not my fault you didn't hear me." Kili spoke, smiling at the young woman. "Thorin wishes to move as soon as possible. He intended on leaving you here, but I think we'll need you with us."

Raewyn's brow rose as she slightly tilted her head, not quite understanding the dwarf's statement. "What makes you say that?" "Well, I heard you come from a family of great fighters, and I wish to see it myself."

The woman remained quiet, completely foreign to the underlying compliment she just received. When she made no move in response, Kili quickly started talking again. "And, I reckon that, as a ranger, you could have some good stories to tell. I'm tired of hearing Bofur's repetitive tales."

Raewyn now shot the dwarf a short smile, but washed it off as soon as it came. "I will not be joining for the company, Kili. I am here to kill Smaug and protect the hobbit. That's it." Kili's face fell, yet he tried to remain cheery.

"If that's your decision, I respect that." The dwarf spoke, before turning around and walking towards the door. "We leave in a couple of minutes." He mumbled, entering the hobbit hole again.

——

When Raewyn learned that the hobbit would not be joining them, she almost doubled back. Unfortunately, Thorin had decided to come around and concluded she had a journey to make. Seeing as Bilbo might've not signed the contract, she did. Therefor, Raewyn had been forced to join a company of dwarves, with much adamance of Gandalf.

"It was a waste of time coming here." One of the dwarves complained, and for once, the woman did not possess the urge to talk back to them. If she was going to be obligated to travel with dwarves, it would not be without a certain level of pettiness.

Thorin had been kind enough to offer the woman a pony, but he made it very clear it was not meant for her and, should Bilbo come back, she would have to walk instead.

The dwarves had placed bets all around on whether Bilbo would turn up or not, and - without surprise - the ranger did not join them. Gandalf had been happy to put in his coins, but he knew he couldn't persuade Raewyn. After all, the disappointment and embarrassment was radiating off of her. He took it as a sign that she would perhaps be best of riding alone, without anyone to interrupt her thoughts.

"We should've never come." Another one complained, causing the young woman to roll her eyes.

"Wait!" Someone shouted in the distance, causing Raewyn to immediately stop her pony, making Gandalf halt too. A few dwarves turned around towards the source of the noise.

"Wait!" It sounded again. A hobbit appeared from beneath the trees, forcing a tiny smile onto the woman's face.

"I signed it!" Bilbo spoke proudly, handing Balin his contract. The one Raewyn had already signed last night. Balin looks over the piece of paper carefully, inspecting every word before nodding to the hobbit. "Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield."

A few dwarves cheered, but all Raewyn received was a harsh glare from a particular dwarf. She returned him a just as foul look before getting off of her pony. "This is yours." She spoke to Bilbo, already unpacking her luggage from the animal.

"No, no, no, no. That...that won't be necessary." He quickly defended, not fond of the idea of riding a pony. "Thank you." He quickly added, looking up at the woman's face. "I'm sure I can keep up on foot. Yeah, I...I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know? Even got as far as Frogmorton once."