With the girl by his side, the grey wizard wandered the wilds of Middle-Earth, teaching the young child proper ways to survive their world. It wasn't until the girl reached the age of 60, which was when she reached adulthood, that she left the old pilgrim. She continued studying the world on her own. Images of her family never left her dreams, but she grew from them, swearing loyalty and dedication to her last name, which she had learned to wear with pride.

——

Silence. Everything around her had become quiet. The sound of the running waters did no longer reach her ear and the song of birds appeared quiet as ever. Wind was raging, yet it was unheard to the young woman. She sat upon a stone, her weapons sprawled out in front of her. A barn own was resting on the handle of her bow, carefully scanning its surroundings. The woman had her eyes closed, her hands resting delicately upon her lap, not to be distracted by any movement. She was not praying, nor was she communicating; She was waiting. For what, she did not know - not anymore at least. She would repeat this process every few years, but nothing came to it. Not that it discouraged her from stopping tradition. Her parents used to do the same thing, as did her ancestors. She knew no one would come for her, but deep inside of her, a longing for a miracle was buried. Perhaps this would be the time someone would sit next to her. Perhaps now someone would come up to her, telling her about her family.

Her heart skipped a beat when she felt a presence nearing. For a moment, she was excited, thinking it was someone from distant relations. However, her excitement disappeared rather quickly as the tall figure stood in front of her, stretching his arm out to the barn owl, who was cooing happily at the figure. The girl opened her eyes and looked up at the man.

"Gandalf." She spoke with a smile, acknowledging the old man. The wizard looked at the girl, nodding his head at her.

"Raewyn. It's been a while." He stated. "You did not come to look for me." She spoke mischievously, almost challenging the old man.

"I knew you would be fine. Besides, I would not know where to look for you. You seem to enjoy travelling."

"But you knew I would be here." She guessed, now looking at her barn owl, Farris, who was sitting on the wizard's hand.

"I know you to be in the deeps of Eryn Vorn once every five years." He confessed, causing Raewyn to look at Gandalf again. The girl ignored his statement, not willing to elaborate on her behavior.

"You seem troubled." She observed, noting the look in his eyes and the hold on his staff.

"You seem not." Was his answer, making the young woman frown.

"Should I need reason to?" She questioned, not quite catching his meaning. The wizard contemplated on what to tell her, before replying with, "Not yet, no."

The woman squinted her eyes, confused by his mysterious behavior. "Yet?" "I am quite caught up in a dilemma." He clarified. "I have an offer for you that could help you," The wizard struggled over his words, making the girl tilt her head slightly. "But...?", she ushered.

Gandalf discarded his earlier words and spoke again. "I can help you with the last name on your list."

"Smaug." Raewyn revealed, not hesitating to say his name. "You have found passage into the mountain?" She continued, now standing up from the stone, causing her to lose height a whole while compared to the taller wizard.

"Yes," Gandalf doubted. "But I cannot let you pass alone."

"No issue." Raewyn interrupted, now mounting her weapons back on her body. "You will be going with me, correct?" She asked, not looking at the wizard. The old man mumbled something incoherent, sending a desperate look to the owl on his hand.

"I have already promised passage to a group of dwarves. You can travel with them."

The woman stopped in her movements. The words sunk in as she slowly spun around, fidgeting with the belt of her daggers. She blinked a couple times at the wizard, before speaking up.

"Dwarves?" She asked curiously. "Normal dwarves?" Gandalf did not answer, causing Raewyn to become more desperate. "Mountain dwarves? Working dwarves?"

The old man quietly let out an apology, which went unheard by the girl. "Miners," he began, trying to soothe her, "toymakers,". The hurt frown on Raewyn's face did not lessen. She knew when the wizard was lying or hiding something. "old warriors..." he named, before stopping his sentence.

"And?" The woman uttered, almost afraid of Gandalf's answer. The wizard became quiet, before answering the question. "The line of Durin." "Damn it." The woman mumbled to herself, shaking her head. "No." She spoke simply, already walking back to the stone she early vacated.

"It is just a travel." Gandalf defended. "You will be there to kill the dragon. Afterward, you are free to leave." "I would simultaneously be helping another kingdom get back into the world." Raewyn shot back, glaring at the wizard. "My parents would come back from the dead and drag me with them."

"The life of a hobbit depends on it." Gandalf revealed. Raewyn's shoulder dropped, her face slowly going with it. Her speech in disbelief went to, nearly, insulted: "What is a hobbit doing on a travel to a dwarven kingdom?"

"He will be our burglar." Gandalf spoke, causing Raewyn's eyes to widen. "Burglar for what?" She hesitantly asked, though she feared she already knew the answer. The wizard walked towards the girl and handed her her owl.

"He will help us acquire the Arkenstone." The man spoke, making the young woman gasp quietly. "You're asking a hobbit to steal from a dragon?" She wondered, truly hoping she misheard him.

"Smaug will recognize the scent of dwarves, men and elves. The scent of a hobbit, however, remains unknown to him." Gandalf reassured, but it did little for the girl.

"You cannot be serious....", she mumbled. "You're sending an innocent creature into the home of this age's greatest dragon." "The hobbit will be safe on his travels to the mountain, the company will make sure of that." The wizard defended. "It is inside of the mountain where he will need all the help he can get."

Raewyn sighed and stood back up, leaving Farris on the stone. The owl twisted her head at her owner, as if understanding her decision. "This is low, Gandalf. Even for you." The woman concluded. "I will travel, but it will not be to aid these dwarves. I will go for the safety of the hobbit and my payment to my father. After Smaug has died, I will leave the mountain."

"It is not to me you should tell that. It is Oakenshield you will have to convince." Gandalf spoke, understanding the woman. "In two weeks' time, the company will gather at the house of the hobbit. It will have a green door with my sigil on the front." He continued to explain, taking his leave. Raewyn nodded at the man and went back to strapping her weapons on again.

"We will meet there, old friend." She spoke, watching the wizard disappear between the trees.

——