"Hey." Kyran said offended by his notion towards the lady he happened to adore,
"I like Naomi. She's very nice."

"Yeah." Tobias said, fastening his shirt at the front, "Master Sam thinks so too."

Kyran's jaw dropped in realization and Tobias shook his head, still cranky from his disturbance from sleep. He trained Kyran in everything he knew about managing the stables. Kyran was willing and always resilient but his naivety was often tiresome. He was only 4 years Kyran's senior but unlike Kyran Tobias went home to his parents during the summer. Kyran couldn't. The longing for guidance and care always made him a little more patient with the young man.

He put on his shoulder bag almost ready to leave and he thought Kyran had fallen back asleep. He started for the door, treading lightly to avoid waking him. He heard the quilt in his cot begin to shift and he winced defeated as he heard him whisper,
"Take me with you!"

"You are not getting me punished again! Go back to sleep!"

Kyran jumped up, standing from his bed passionately as he spoke, hopeful he'd change his mind, "Sybil is upstairs with Madame, she won't even see that I'm gone. It's only a three-mile ride, it's not even sunrise!"

"You know that Madame has eyes in the back of her fucking-

"Please, Tobias. I won't bother you, I promise."

He raised his fist hatefully and remembered his patience. He said with his lips tight around his teeth,
"Goddammit, just get dressed and meet me by the barn. If anyone sees you, go back to your room. I'm leaving with or without in five minutes."

Kyran smiled widely and searched for his riding clothes under his cot. The door slammed quietly and he heard Tobias rushing down the hall. He put on his belt and his heavier, sturdier boots that Tobias had given him when they became too small for his own feet. He put on his wool newsy cap for the early morning dampness and snuck quietly down the hall.

He still heard the commotion and muddling of voices upstairs along with Octavia wailing in small short cries. He walked delicately as his boots were heavier against the finished wooden floor compared to the stone of his corridor. He stood with his back against the wall, peeking around the last corner before his sprint towards the front entrance and the coast was clear. He heard a small ticking against the ground as he walked and saw at his feet where one of his shoelaces had fallen undone. He checked his surroundings again quickly before he knelt to restart the knot around his ankle.

He heard silence but also felt an eerie coldness. An icy shiver crept up his spine and he watched as a ghostly breath came from his mouth, fading into the air and his body startled to turn around. There, towering over him was his master. The man looked down with those hollow, dark eyes and Kyran knew his plan had failed. He shut his eyes tightly in remorse and he began sheepishly,
"I'm sorry-"

"Where are you running off to, young man?" The master said coarsely in a murmur. Kyran felt as if those eyes were burning holes in his head and he found his heart racing in defense. He shifted backward on the floor to stand up,
"Tobias and I- we're going to get the doctor."

They both looked up as another scream bellowed from upstairs, rattling the walls around them and the master turned to begin up the stairwell. Kyran saw the contented look on his face. He felt something malicious stirring from the man and he watched as he ascended the steps. He felt his veins pulsing with fear of what might happen if he reached that room with Octavia's babies. He lunged forward and he took the master's shirt in his grip, holding him back and he said coaxing him away,
"Master-"

With an enormous surge of power, Kyran felt his feet leave the stairway and he was propelled backwards against the opposite wall. His master held up a hand, using all of his supernatural mastery to keep the boy against the wall, trapped from moving or even breathing. Kyran choked trying to heave the air back into his lungs and tears from his overwhelming panic flooded his eyes. He tried to scream. He tried to beat his fists against the wall or even close his eyes to what was happening. Sam moved slowly towards him, keeping his hand up, focusing on the eyes that now glowed hatefully. Changing from dark empty amber to strong, luminous violet. They could light the dark in a room and Kyran couldn't see anything else.

"To- Tobias.." He managed to say in choppy, breathless spurts and he felt his throat closing tighter with each step the man took closer. The door opened and Tobias snuck inside quietly, looking for the young man, knowing that the phrase "with or without you" came with conditions. 

He looked in horror, his bag dropped to the ground in a stun to Kyran off the ground against the wall. He turned to see the Master holding his hand forward and something inside of the boy snapped. The fear in Kyran's eyes boiled something loathsome in his chest.

He turned and slung a heavy, stone bust from the wall towards the man. It crashed against his arm and Kyran dropped to the ground, coughing and Tobias charged forwards swinging with rage. Sam hurled him backward with his arms and Kyran watched as Tobias crashed against the mantle of the fireplace in the den. Tobias winced painfully, he rolled onto his knees on the floor to compensate for the pain that shattered against his body. Kyran stood afraid to move but needed to get his friend, who was like a brother to him, away from danger. The master stomped fiercely in Tobias's direction and the boy saw the color in his eyes changing,
"Kyran!" He called out from the ground, "Go now! Just run, I'll find you!"

"Tobias, I can't!"

"Just go! Please!" Tobias shouted with his lips quivering in distraught and Kyran's face dripped with tears as he rushed out the door. He looked back every second, sobbing as he ran towards the road leading to the doctor's. His feet pounded against the ground and he wiped the wetness from his eyes with his sleeve.

His heart broke in his chest just as the first lights broke across the horizon. He knew he never should've left the bed. He hoped his best friend wouldn't pay the price once again for his rebelliance.