32: The C in MCAT

Start from the beginning

"Lighten up, James," she nudged him. "It's not forever. She's not dead; she's just on tour."

He let out another, louder sigh. Kit took a deep breath and offered something else:

"Um, okay," she said. "Don't you remember when we went on tour? We–"

James cut her off. "Yes! And that was when you and I started dating–"

"Uh, no," Kit looked at Kendall, eyes pleading. "That is both not entirely true and, again, it wasn't real, so–"

"What are you saying?"

"I am saying..."

She turned to Kendall, shrugging. Kit didn't really know where she was going with that. It proved to be the wrong thing to say.

"Uh, Kendall?"

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Logan made Carlos sit next to him in the classroom where they hosted the MCAT. Carlos looked around the room, bored. Logan pulled out his snacks and juice boxes and sat up in his seat, smiling.

"Okay," the test proctor addressed them. "We'll get started once everyone has their test and answer sheets."

She held up each as she spoke. Another man walked through the aisles of desks and passed them out. Logan thanked him and set his test materials out on the desk. Carlos leaned in to whisper to Logan:

"Why am I even here?"

He lifted up the answer sheet, pointing to it. "I don't like tests. We don't get along!"

Carlos gestured between it and himself. He smacked it.

"See?"

Logan watched, mouth open, as Carlos slapped the paper to his face and began to fake wrestle with it. This drew the attention of some of the other test takers. Logan turned to him.

"Stop that," he smacked Carlos's arm.

All eyes turned to look at them. Logan and Carlos each muttered a soft apology once he dropped the act. Carlos glanced at his answer sheet once more, then added:

"I'm leaving unless you tell me why you need me next to you."

Logan hesitated. "I-I think you're my good luck chum."

Carlos leaned in. "Go on."

"It's true," Logan said. "Look, when you're next to me, good things happen."

Carlos nodded. Logan held up a finger as he continued to explain:

"When Debbie Crawford said yes to the sixth grade dance, you were next to me. When I scored my first pee-wee hockey goal, you were next to me."

Carlos nodded, fighting back a smile.

"And yesterday, by the pool..."

Thanks to Carlos and his chum hug, Logan was saved from being impaled by a dead palm tree branch.

"Oh," said Carlos. "So you want another chum hug?"

Carlos started to lean over his desk and hug Logan. He stopped him,

"No, no," he said. "You just sit there, be lucky, and take this test."

The same protector handed out pencils. Carlos picked both up in a hand each.

"No," he said. "I don't want to take this test."

Logan rolled his eyes.

"I want to go home and eat corn dogs."