"I have to say," He paused, pulling back slightly, "I like that shirt on you. You look better in it than I do." He pursed his lips to the side as if considering two options, then checked his watch that was laying on my nightstand. "You have me for forty minutes, no longer."

I started cracking up all of a sudden, making him look at me confused. "You know Bernard, for being Santa's head elf, you sure can be naughty." I laughed harder at my own joke while he looked back at me rather unamused.

"Ha ha, very funny," He said dryly, shaking his head. "I'm going to work," He stood up with a face that was trying all it's might to be annoyed, and held his hand out so that I would hand him his shirt.

"Woah woah, hold on. Sit back down, I can work with 40 minutes." I grabbed him by the hand and pulled him back over to me. "Besides, your pants are already off so it's easy."

He smiled turning a little pink again, shaking his head once more, but this time a little more embarrassed. "Okay, 40 minutes,"

And so we did.

After some time I heard a knock at my door, along with someone clearing their throat.

"Uh, Angie?" I heard Curtis's voice from the other side. "Bernard is late, by a whole five minutes. I'm worried about his well being, have you heard from him today?" The handle jingled but didn't open. I was so glad that I locked it last night.

I had never seen someone jump up and get dressed as quickly as Bernard did at that moment.

"Uh, yes- yes." I tried to sound confident and not like I was digging through my drawers to find a turtleneck long enough to cover my new polka-dot friends. Bernard quickly moved past me, running his hands along my waist as he went by. "He swung by this morning to-"

"I was talking to her about the new reports with the whole Gnome business," Bernard swung open the door, just as I found one and flung it on me, adding a scarf for extra protection.

"Are you alright? You look very out of breath." Curtis furrowed his brows, looking Bernard's face up and down.

Bernard's face was still a little pink and sweaty, but he wiped it away with his sleeve before realizing he was missing his hat. I quickly picked it up off the ground by the bed and brought it over while trying to be as nonchalant as possible.

"I'm great, amazing, wonderful." He gave a tight-lipped smile as he pulled the hat on.

Curtis watched this curiously, taking a moment to come up with a response. "Even with the Gnomes?" Curtis asked with a grimace. "Usually you hate trying to negotiate with them... besides, I thought we already got them figured out,"

"Yeah, well, apparently not." Bernard frowned, "They've been hogging the wood supply again for our dollhouses and wooden cars- We have a meeting scheduled with the Gnome leader-"

Curtis groaned.

"Meeting at noon," He nodded at me, making sure I knew.

"Wait, what about presents and family time?" I whispered.

Bernard frowned, "We'll figure it out tonight."

"Well, you should fill me in, I won't tell Santa about your tardiness if we can get some of this figured out," Curtis scribbled something out in a small notebook and gave Bernard a nod.

Bernard glanced back at me while they took off down the hall with a slightly guilty smile and shrug.

Now to deal with me.

Taking off the turtleneck, I walked back into my bathroom, pulling out my makeup and extensive color-correcting pallet... I quickly realized that I didn't have as much knowledge in the "cover up" department as I thought that I did earlier. I tried every color on my pallet, as well as concealer and foundation, but eventually accepted my defeat. Turtlenecks and scarves were going to be my life for the next day or two at least.