Chains of Duty

This story was a request from ACertifiedIdiotz.

It has a sex scene. You have been warned.

You were angry when you were first told. You fought tooth and nail, screamed and cried, but you had eventually been forced to accept your fate. After all, your father claimed it was the only way to strengthen the bonds between your nations and prevent possible war. You were to marry the prince of Mirkwood. Thranduil.

Your fathers had been arranging it for over a year. Even so, you had yet to meet. You soon would, however. Your carriage was currently making its way towards Mirkwood.

You sat in the back next to a personal maid, who was chattering incessantly about anything and everything. Normally, you wouldn't mind so much, but today it only gave you a headache.

You were all too aware that
Every verdant tree and rolling hillside was taking you closer and closer towards your fate. A life sentence. So the maids talking just served to irrate you further. You simply wanted to be left alone to suffer in silence.

After many days of traveling, you finally arrived at the palace of Mirkwood. You were met and welcomed warmly by the King and Queen. They seemed delighted at the prospect of your soon to be nearer connection. Their son, your betrothed, was noticeably absent. Not that you really cared. You would have to lice with him soon enough, might as well enjoy your life while it was still yours.

After you had all exchanged the necessary pleasantries, you were shown to your rooms to rest. There was to be a week long party starting the next day in honor of the joining of your kingdoms. You were to be married on the afternoon of the final day, then there was to be a wedding feast.

People were there from all over. And not just from places in the kingdom of Mirkwood. Many had traveled from your own kingdom, while others were from neighboring lands. Members of the ruling family from Rivendell were also in attendance.

You rolled your eyes. Just what you always wanted, a week long party celebrating your misery. Everyone here to watch as your life ended. You sighed heavily.

*************

The next day arrived, and the party began. You had refused to enter with your parents, choosing instead to mingle with the crowd. Finally, when their exuberance became too much for you, you snuck away into the palace gardens. Quietly, since while the gardens weren't strictly off limits, they also definitely were not part of the celebration grounds. And you would much prefer some peace and quiet over being dragged back to the party.

You got in without incident and wandered about aimlessly until you ran into a young man. He was about your own age and seemed to be doing the same thing you were, hiding from the party. He was tall, with long silky blond hair and handsome features. He seemed as surprised as you were to meet someone here.

"What are you doing out here?" He asked not unkindly. Taking in your irrated expression.

"Getting away from this insufferable party." You snorted in derision. "What's your excuse?"

"Same as you." He answered with a heavy sigh, sitting down on a nearby bench. You followed suit.

"It seems like a lot of fuss to make over an arranged marriage." You continued, annoyance seeping into your tone. "I could understand if it were a love match, but a marriage with no love is nothing to celebrate, in my opinion. I would just as well, everyone go home."

"I agree with you. But why are you here then if you wish to be at home?"

"My parents have forced me to come."

"Ahhh, must support the combining of the kingdoms, huh?"

"Something like that."

He nodded in commiseration.