Little Librarian

This is dedicated to zgdjdhchhh. Thank you! I appreciate you, and your ideas. 💖

You were an orphan. At least in all practicality. Your father was a soldier, until he lost his life to the giant spiders. Your mother, stricken with grief, left for Imladris soon after, to escape the memories. Abandoning her not quite 3 year old. You.

A scribe and her family was tasked with raising you. They already had 4 elflings, and were not happy about the addition. Nevertheless, they did as they were commanded.

Your childhood was miserable. While the parents outwardly raised you as they were bidden, they neglected you and your needs; all the while, doting on their own children.

You were always given the worst of everything. The other children treated you with distain. You were constantly ignored. You were excluded from, or given the role no one wanted to play, in every game.

You were constantly not pretty enough. Not smart enough. Not good enough. Not loved enough.

As soon as you came of age they kicked you to the curb. Thankfully, due to some old friends of your parents, you were able to get a job in the palace.

You were given a job in the palace's extensive library. You loved it. Reading had always been you sanctuary. Your refuge from the world. And now you had access to all the books you could ever dream of.

You spent every waking moment there. Soon you knew the library better than any of the other staff. Sure, there were other servants who read, but most of them had lives outside of the stories contained there.

You read, and read, and read. At any given time you could be found curled up in some corner, nose stuck in a book.

King Thranduil also frequented the library. You often observed him from wherever you were ensconced. You couldn't help notice he was very handsome.

You were not supposed to interact with the royalty. That was the duty of the senior staff. However, 9 times out of 10, they ended up having to come ask you. So eventually, Thranduil began to seek you out from the get go.

After a while he began to come even when he didn't have a question. He would hide in the library with you, while his advisers searched for him fruitlessly. He would often bring food and wine with him and them share with you.

Most times he would find books that you both wanted to read and read aloud in a soft soothing tone. He would also discuss the kingdoms problems with you, and seemed genuinely interested in your opinions. He always wanted to know how you spent your day, always listened to your responses.

Sometimes, especially after a long day, (or a night filled with nightmares) you would fall asleep to the sound of his calm voice. Only to wake up hours later with your head in his lap, his fingers carding through your hair, while he silently read. On the occasions when he couldn't stay till you awoke, you would open your eyes to find yourself comfortably enveloped in a soft blanket, surrounded by pillows.

You should know better. You DID know better; but every moment you spent together, you found yourself falling more and more in love with him. You couldn't help it. He was so kind, so thoughtful, so handsome. He was nothing short of wonderful. Everything you had ever dreamed of.

You berated yourself to no avail. You were unworthy. Always had been. Always would be. Not pretty enough. Not smart enough. Not good enough. And certainly not loved enough. There was NO way the Elf King would ever love you of all people! It didn't matter that you loved him with all of your heart! You vowed to bury the feeling deep inside, and never let it see the light of day.