FIFTEEN: Storm Of Insecurities.

Start from the beginning

As we approached, the ladies' chatter ceased. Their expressions shifted to surprise, mouths agape as they exchanged panicked glances eyes wide and darting between us.

Fareed stopped directly in front of them, his gaze sweeping over the group. "Excuse me, ladies," he addressed them, his voice calm yet assertive. "Is there a reason you seem so preoccupied with us?"

Their surprise only deepened. One woman, braver than the others, finally spoke up, "We were just, uh, surprised to see you with Meenah Turaki again. We heard things ended badly after..." she trailed off, her voice laced with uncertainty.

"All those things you heard. Did you hear them directly from either Meenah or me?" Fareed's voice was calm but firm as he addressed the group. They shook their heads in response.

"Good," Fareed continued, "Then perhaps it's best to refrain from spreading rumors based on hearsay.  Our relationship is far stronger than you can possibly imagine, and that will not change. Go tell this to others who think like you. Now, leave." He commanded.

"Are you ladies deaf? He said leave" Maimoon interjected, her arms folded across her chest. The group of girls fumed before reluctantly turning around and dragging their feet back to wherever they came from.

*

The car ride back was subdued. Fareed stole glances at me, concern etched on his brow. When we finally arrived, we stayed back in the car. "Are you alright?" he finally asked, his voice laced with worry.

I offered a weak nod. "Yeah, I guess."

"You haven't spoken much since we left. I hope that little gossip session didn't get to you. You saw how I shut them down, right?" He flashed me a reassuring smile, reaching out to cup my cheek.

My heart ached at his concern. "Yes, Fareed," I murmured, squeezing his hand. "I appreciate you having my back like that. I just... I don't want to be the reason people question you." Shame tinged my voice.

He silenced me with a gentle finger to my lips. "Shhh," he whispered, his eyes serious. "Don't even think about saying that, Meenah. What happened in the past is exactly that – the past. We talked about this, remember? You promised me we wouldn't let it affect us in anyway."

"But, Fareed, people keep saying different things about us," I confessed, feeling my chest tighten with emotion.

His brow furrowed. "Meenah, when did other people's opinions become so important? You used to be the one who never cared what anyone thought. What changed?"

"Everything changed Fareed," I cried out, tears streaming down my face. "I ruined everything between us after what I did, and no matter what, the guilt keeps eating me up. And knowing that this time around, the people are right, it just makes me feel even more guilty."

He watched me silently, a crease etching his forehead. After a long moment, he spoke, his voice laced with tension, "What do you want us to do now? You want to end things with me?" His words pierced through me, and I burst into a fresh new set of tears that I couldn't control. Fareed really didn't love me anymore, and it broke my heart.

"Babe," he said, his voice softer now, "are you... on your period?"

I just couldn't deny the truth. I was on my period, and just maybe that's the reason why I was so emotional today.

"Don't change the subject, Fareed. Maybe you're really the one trying to end things with me," I accused.

Confusion clouded his features. "Babe, how could you even think that?"

"Why else would you ask if I want to end things?" Tears welled up again.

Fareed sighed, "Alright, Meenah, you're right. I messed up. But listen to me," he pleaded, his voice sincere. "How can I convince you that I love you and none of this gossip matters? What can I do?"

"I... I don't know," I sniffled, wiping at my cheeks.  "But nothing feels real until we're married. That's the only thing that will set my mind at ease."

He looked at me for a long moment, his expression unreadable. Then, a slow smile tugged at the corner of his lips.  Before I could understand it, he pulled out his phone and dialed a number. Three rings, and a voice boomed from the speaker. Fareed's father.  My heart hammered in my chest as I watched him in confusion and curiosity. What was he planning?

"Rayhan."

"Daddy, Barka da rana." Fareed greeted.

"Barka kadai, Rayhan. How are you?"

"I'm good, Dad. How's Ammi and how's London?"

"Everything's good here, and your Ammi is out with Fatiyya, finalizing wedding preparations."

"Wedding preparations?" Fareed chuckled. "Weren't they already done?"

A gentle laugh came from the phone. "You know your mother, Rayhan. Extravagant as ever."

Fareed's smile widened. "Can't argue with that. Actually Dad, there's something important I wanted to discuss."

"What is it, my son?" his father inquired, his tone turning serious.

Fareed took a deep breath, then blurted out, "Is there any way to move up the wedding date?"

My jaw dropped. Fareed's smirk confirmed my suspicion. Was he really doing this because of me?

Suddenly, Daddy asked in concern, "Is everything alright, Rayhan?" Instinctively, I shook my head in silent disagreement, mouthing "no" at Fareed to prevent him from blurting something out.

"Everything's good, Dad. It's just... these days seem to be stretching on forever. I can't wait to finally have Meenah by my side officially." He ended his sentence with a wink in my direction, sending a blush creeping up my cheeks. Fareed could be so shameless sometimes!

Daddy burst into laughter, finding what Fareed said amusing, before he responded, "Ah, Rayhan," he chuckled, "you should have spoken up sooner! Everything's already set in motion. We've finalized all the arrangements. In Shaa Allah, your Nikah is scheduled for two weeks from now."

Fareed let out a playful groan, but a smile lingered on his face as he nodded in acceptance.
"Alright, Dad," Fareed replied.

And they bade each other goodbye before ending the call. Turning to me, he met my gaze with a mischievous grin.

"Fareed!" I scolded, feigning anger. "Why'd you do that?"

His laughter echoed in the car as he raised his hands in surrender. "But you wanted this, didn't you?"

My cheeks flushed a warm pink. "Not exactly like that! Calling daddy and acting all shameless?"

"Shameless?" he countered, "There's nothing shameless about wanting to be with the woman I love."

I huffed, folding my arms in annoyance. "Fareed I definitely don't like you anymore."

A slow, confident smile spread across his face. "My apologies, then," he drawled. "But unfortunately for you, you're stuck with me forever."

My lips twitched despite myself, threatening to betray my feigned anger. Biting them to hold back a smile, I ignored him for the rest of the ride. He kept trying to win me over with jokes and playful nudges, the sound of his laughter filling the car.

Hey my beautiful peeps!❤️❤️
It's been a while. I had to pause my updates due to Ramadan, and after that, we had exams. Alhamdulillah, we're done, and I'm back in business now, In shaa Allah❤️❤️❤️

Now don't forget to Vote, comment and share😘

LYA❤️❤️❤️