FOURTEEN: Love's Grand Prix

"Azrah, that shirt is mine, you're wearing mine, so give it back," Maimoon whined like a two-year-old when she strolled into the room, donning a graphic MotoGp shirt that appeared tight on her, resembling almost a crop top than intended.

"What do you mean it's yours?" Azrah countered, eyeing her while standing in front of the dressing mirror.

"Isn't it obvious? It's a small shirt, while the one you're wearing is big, so it's obviously mine," she argued.

"Alright, so what?"

I observed the girls go back and forth about the matching shirts for the upcoming MotoGP racing competition. Yes, you heard right. An upcoming racing event is happening in Lagos, and Fareed got invited as the VIP guest to represent his team as an idol and mentor to upcoming racers. We, the girls and I, also got free tickets to watch the race at the circuit alongside Fareed and the others.

"God save you!" Maimoon exclaimed, reclaiming the shirt she insisted was hers, all the while sharing pointed glares with her sister.

I chuckled, shaking my head, and continued combing down my hair. Abruptly, a knock echoed from the door, and Tiwa, our house help, entered with a pink gift box in her hands and a beaming grin on her face. She was always so lively and funny.

"Tiwa, who is that for?" Azrah inquired.

"Aunty Azrah, I shock today oo! Abeg, na that fine man we dey always see racing for television be the one wey I dey see for parlor with Ummi, abi na my eyes dey pain me?" she exclaimed, rubbing her eyes as if to make sure. She brought the box over to me on the bed. "And Aunty Meenah, he talk say make I give you this. Abeg, you sabi am?" she inquired, her eyes wide and waiting for my response.

I burst into laughter as I collected the box, placing it beside me on the bed. It was clear she was referring to Fareed, who came to pick us up for the race.

"Tiwa!" Azrah called out, "She doesn't only know him, but he is her soon-to-be husband," she added, emphasizing on the last part, prompting Tiwa to gasp her palm flying over her mouth.

"Lie, lie!" Tiwa exclaimed, making me laugh again. She turned back to me, a disbelieving look on her face. "Meenah, na true? That celebrity crush of mine na your fiancé?" she asked, still finding it hard to believe. Being an ordinary girl dating a celebrity had its challenges indeed.

I nodded, a continued smile on my face, and her eyes lit up with joy. She immediately jumped in happiness, pulling out her Vivo phone from her wrapper.

"Meenah, abeg, you fit convince am to snap with me? I wan show my village people when I go back Ikeja, make dem believe say I really meet celebrity," she said, excitement evident in her voice.

"Tiwa, abeg, stop all dis now. Go back to the kitchen and finish your work," Maimoon interjected, waving her off.

Tiwa turned to Maimoon and pouted, "Abeg, Maimoon, help a sister now."

After the entertaining episode with Tiwa, we successfully dragged her out of the room, giving us the space to complete our preparations without further delay, ensuring we didn't keep the guys waiting. I eagerly unwrapped the gift box sent by Fareed.

Upon opening it, my eyes were met with a sight that stirred my excitement – a red and black customized varsity jacket adorned with the MotoGP logo and racing logos. It was truly stunning! The part that added a special touch was the inscription on the back – "Mrs Rjay."

"Oh Lord! Wahala for who no dey love oo!" Azrah exclaimed.

"Or more like wahala for who no get racer as boyfriend!" Maimoon added, and they began their usual teasing. Meanwhile, I blushed, rolling my eyes at them, all the while feeling butterflies erupting in my stomach. Fareed would always be my smile keeper.